Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$1000 to spend on my VE SSV exhaust - what to buy?

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
The car in the video is mine, 6.0 same as yours, and I'm that handsome fella cursing at the start! With the Wildcats, HFC and Xforce 2.5" system I mentioned, you can expect more outright power than a stock VE GTS and a hella more acceleration and drivability riding the torque improvement at lower RPM, when tuned.

Nice. Did you pick up the parts and do it yourself? Or did you get it done somewhere? I'm thinking you did it yourself. Me, I'm not that handy but I have a brother and a brother in law who might be.

Yeah it takes a bit of planning to get the final setup right, set of adjustable rear silencers make a huge difference.

Saw your video. Not sure what you mean by adjustable silencers but I see what they do.

No not yet at 10¢, but close. Using the Gen V LT1 as a benchmark, it's been interesting to explore the ragged edge of combustion phasing with a wideband controller and MacBook on an LS - low temperature, high compression, injector timing, valve events, etc. I think it's possible to get below 7L/100KM combined.

That would be pretty amazing. Sounds like a lot of work but.

Tony

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan

Just watched this video. Did you try out several different combinations on the same car? Are you made of money or do you own an exhaust shop? Lot a work in that!

Wildcats, HFC and Xforce 2.5"

Can you give me more details about this? Assume Wildcats are the headers? HFC is high flow catbacks? Any particular brand? And Xforce 2.5" is the back end of the system?

Looks like the XForce 2.5" are about $5-600. Magnaflow HFCs seem to be around $150 each in 2.5"? Wildcat Tri-Y headers seem to be around $1000 but that's with cats so might be a saving there? So about $2000 plus intermediate pipes? What else? What are the adjustable silencers you mention?

Then I guess I need to spend $500 or so on a dyno to finish it up and get the best result?

Tony

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
If you want the full hurricane system (Pirates suggestion is very solid too) the cheapest place around is "best Mufflers". google them. Is about $1,895 for the inch and three quarter 4 into 1's, cats and 2.5 cat back in mild steel plus delivery.

Anyone familiar with the Hurricane system? Extractors, cats, twin 2.5" system? Holden Commodore VE V8 6 0LT Hurricane Extractors Cats Twin 2 5" Exhaust | eBay

Not sure I want to go this way because the cost seems quite high just for a system and have to still get someone to fit it (i don't crawl around under cars any more). But it's an option. Mild steel system certainly has downsides compared to stainless.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
These quotes for delivered systems seem high to me, unless VE is that much more expensive than VX - I was quoted the $1400 ish for the custom system (they had a cheaper off the shelf job that I could have gotten and $800 for the pair of Pacemaker headers.

All these prices are fitted.

Seriously just go talk to Rob Bliss.

Also no-one has mentioned to you OP but you may need new O2 sensors.

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
Seriously just go talk to Rob Bliss.

Also no-one has mentioned to you OP but you may need new O2 sensors.

Yes, I am planning to talk to Rob before I do anything. He hasn't replied to my email quote request yet. Guess I might be forced to pick up the phone!

O2 sensors? What do they cost?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes, I am planning to talk to Rob before I do anything. He hasn't replied to my email quote request yet. Guess I might be forced to pick up the phone!

O2 sensors? What do they cost?

Only relevant if you get long tubes (a lot dearer), it is actually an O2 extension lead, about $60.

Drop in, even tomorrow morning.

DAZVFV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Manta twin 2.5" on mine now, sounds great, no drone and $1200 ....can't go wrong.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Manta twin 2.5" on mine now, sounds great, no drone and $1200 ....can't go wrong.

that's a bit general?

are there headers, cats, fitting, is it h-pipe, x-pipe??

or is it just a catback?

DAZVFV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I just installed a catback (factory headers factory cats), Manta 2.5" mild steel, with centre muffler, H pipe...No drone anywhere, AFM sounds fine, quiet when cruising Nice DEEP note under acceleration...NOT loud. Anyone that says you have to go 3" or it won't be deep hasn't had a 2.5" Manta....if you go 3" it will be louder and a little deeper and a bit of drone..

Better?

xVOIDx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0l
3" X-Force Varex mild steel system. $1500, remote adjustable rear mufflers, minimal drone when opened right up, can't go wrong