Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12" sub (Jaycar) install into VZ 'S' Ute

V

vprsvmille

Thanks heaps Phreddy!!

You're plot indicates quite closely what I hear. I get no noticeable boomy notes and at the 52Hz -3db rolloff, it makes sense why it sounds soo much better for rock than techno.

I will be removing some stuffing. This box was very tightly sealed. Once the driver was installed, you could hardly move the cone due to the pressure behind it.

Thanks again phreddy.

Cheers

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Pleasure Mate!

Yeah, I would recommend pulling some of the stuffing out - the box needs to be damped, but the stuffing material does occupy some space, and if there's too much of it you go from artificially increasing the box volume, to actually decreasing it. (if you know what I mean)

I guess that's what I mean there Deph - maybe "over-damped" is an incorrect terminology to use. It's just that old law of diminishing returns, where you'll get to a point where the extra volume you're creating gets eaten up by the physical volume of the fill material.

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Basically what Phreddy is trying to say is, that if you shove too much in you create a HARD matter inside the cabinet that stops absorbing and starts reflecting back before it hits the actual walls of the cabinet.

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
That box sounds like it could be just what i'm looking for! I need a box for a JL 12W3V. They need about 28 litres. could i please get a copy of the diagrams? Thanks

Barcode

lllllllllllllllll
Reaction score
would love to get some dimensions as well as a couple of sphotos of it installed if possible
what comments would you have on sound compared to in cabin mounted sub

V

vprsvmille

Sound is very clean and I found it very easy (adjusting low pass filters) to blend with the front drivers in the cabin. The sound (and feeling) of the sub is quite punchy with most types/styles of music. Mind you, I am using a left-over subwoofer probably better suited to a ported box (previous setup) so I was quite surprised at how well it works in this setup.

I have attached a pic showing dimensions of the box I made. This is designed for 18mm MDF.

I have pics of the finished product but haven't taken them off my camera yet (still being slack). Now that exams finished, I might get around to it.

Make sure you keep the face of the subwoofer away from the vents ie too close and it will sound strange when driving with the windows down due to air being rammed against the driver.

Cheers

Attachments

• VZute_subwoofer_enclosure.JPG
    VZute_subwoofer_enclosure.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,179
Last edited by a moderator:

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
damn wish i saw that last post before i started building my box...

also everyone is saying how the box can only be ~27ltrs... i know this is probably different, but im making one for my vr ute and i think its gonna be over 40 litres. (over 1.5cu.ft) (dont think so but i may have worked it out wrong). what would be the best way to make it smaller? could i just add another bit of wood in the back to block some of it off...? my sub reccomended volume is about 1cu.ft

EDIT: will post pics when i get the sub, hopefully next weekend

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
Cheers for the piccies and dimensions mate, but what do you mean by don't mount it too close to the vents? Is there a bit of room for movement in the cavity? How did you secure it to the ute? Where did you run the wires through from the cab to the cavity? Sorry bout the big mob of questions, but I figured why learn from error when you have already done the install?

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
here some pics of mine in the vr
2179154_92.jpg
2179154_105.jpg
2179154_106.jpg

havent secured it in fully yet.. i have it out at the moment.. trying to seal up all the gaps in the ute, to keep moisture and dust out etc. and painting the box to keep moisture out fo the wood.. i have the wire just going through the hole in the firewall

as i sad before it is a fair bit bigger than 27litres.. but i dunno if the cavity is smaller in the vz,

oh and mine is only an 11" sub. but could probably fit a 12" in if i wanted to.