Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

130 km/h Interstate Speed Limits

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ ute with v6 commodore motor, gbox and diff
Has anyone ever seen speed limits increased anywhere? Won't happen in a million years.
yep the newell highway in central west nsw, through dubbo, was 110, then 100 then 110 again, 100 was stupid, should be 130, it took ages for it to go back up to 110

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Actually N.S.W libs are increasing some of the limits

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
This can NOT happen until there is PROPER driver education in Australia.

You cannot compare German roads and Australian roads without taking into account the far superior driver education and licencing systems in Europe.
Or the additional safety gear carried onboard all EU registered cars; first aid kit, triabngle, 2 x high-vis vests etc. All part of their wholesome approach.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Or the additional safety gear carried onboard all EU registered cars; first aid kit, triabngle, 2 x high-vis vests etc. All part of their wholesome approach.

What did Clarkson say, if you wear the high vis jacket you won't get hit by a train...

If someone drives into you with your hazards blinking, a triangle and some high vis vests won't help much --> the first aid kit after that will. Though I do like the idea of all cars having LED daytime running lights.

All that said, I think 130kph is a reasonable speed and a good compromise between that and everyone who wants 150+. Something that needs to be considered as well is fuel use, at 150kph, many modern 4cyl as well as our V6 Ecotecs, would chug decent bits of fuel. 130 is the upper limit of good fuel economy in most cars.

Mike.

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
The state that roads are in now would mean raised limits would be like 10 years at least off going by how long it takes to get something done relating to the roads in this country. And with Canberra drivers around you need multiple lanes with no form one lanes otherwise you'll get massive traffic jams. For a 1st world country I really think were behind the mark on a lot of things.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Something that needs to be considered as well is fuel use, at 150kph, many modern 4cyl as well as our V6 Ecotecs, would chug decent bits of fuel. 130 is the upper limit of good fuel economy in most cars.

A stock standard V6 commodore with .75 fourth gear and 3.08 diff gears would putt along at 130 easily. Going on a long trip in my missus VT the thing barely hits 1900RPM on the open roads. I still think id get around 9l/100k's at 130kph.
And if your car cant keep up, just stay in the left hand lane ;)

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
A stock standard V6 commodore with .75 fourth gear and 3.08 diff gears would putt along at 130 easily. Going on a long trip in my missus VT the thing barely hits 1900RPM on the open roads. I still think id get around 9l/100k's at 130kph.
And if your car cant keep up, just stay in the left hand lane ;)

Sorry I wasn't clear, standard V6 could do 130 and maintain a decent fuel economy. But once you start going 150kph, 160 and so on. You're going to start paying extra for not that much faster.

And my mates Mazda 323 does like 3000+ rpm at 110 in top gear. It makes me laugh...

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
ABC Local Radio, Nightlife program, Thurs 13th, about 10.15pm; motoring "expert" Will Hagon referred to a report from the Accident Research Centre at Monash University, which analysed all of the costs - economic, social, etc - of driving, and concluded that the most economical speed limit on highways, from the whole community's point of view, would be 125 kph.

I did some googling, and I think I have the relevant report:
http://monash.edu/muarc/reports/atsb216.pdf

Next time you're chatting to your MP, see if you can get this into the conversation.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Having grown up in the NT with no open road speed limit, I can categorically say there wasnt a problem. As mentioned earlier, you could pass a cop at 200 smiling, and he would smile back provided you appeared to be driving safely and your car wasnt in obvious bad condition.

However, if you were in a clapped out 69 Corolla with bald tyres doing 150, all over the road and trying to hang on tight, he would pull you over and charge you with dangerous driving.

Our road toll was pretty good by national standards, and most of the people who died on the open road were either drunk, asleep, or some German driving a high roofed 4wd Camper.

Almost never were open road accidents attributed to speed.

It isnt going to change though. The NT government fought tooth and nail to keep the open speed limit, because taking it away was a major blow for them politically, a VERY unpopular decision. The Feds blackmailed them in the end, refusing money for roadworks and projects unless the NT complied.. hence the compromise 130kmh limit.

Stupid and unnecessary. The statistics prove it.. speed doesnt kill, its the sudden stop that does it. Fatigue, alcohol, inexperience and stupidity kill people on the open road, not speed.