Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

140kmhr Safer In Australia

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Huh??? Nobody is advocating that all roads to have higher limits. The contention is that some roads (I gave a few examples before) could sustain higher limits. The 110 limit on the Hume in particular between Kalcallo (sp?) and Albury is criminal just for one.

Reaper

Reap, that wasn't directed at you. Yur only quoting part of what I said.

People think a speed limit must be adhered too. This is the thinking of the majority even in this thread. It is a limit, not a competition. On this basis, there is no reason many roads could not be a certain speed and police could then use discretion when they think a driver is exceeding what is a safe speed. As they can do now.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
That happens so much it's not funny :( i was lucky enough not to get put in a stupid situation like that but a friend was. He had to avoid an idiot who didnt understand the road rules and was penalised because he stopped instead of committing suicide... Go figure? I got my license a few years back, but the test had nothing to do with being a good driver. The test really is rubbish, to be a good driver you have to be aware of your surroundings, anticipate other people's stupidity, not just know how to parallel park with 20m of space behind you...

if you think those situations are funny, my best mate failed because...wait for it.......he did not indicate past a parked car within a small residential street!...how funny is that!!! when i did my test the first time the lady asked my to reverse parallel park behind a car in court, there was two cars on the otherside of the road so only one car wide in the middle on about a 30degree hill.....i got the park in one shot! how does that mean that i have an understanding of road safety and car control...the only reason my car control is decent is because my dad took me down to the industrial areas in lilydale on a sunday arvo when it was wet and said put the car in a slide emergency brake, find out what happens when...

thats what we all need and i thank my dad for it because it has made me a better safer driver...laws are made for idiots...unfortunatly most people on this forum who really enjoy their cars are not those people and we have to live by the rules set for the morons in VN's with cut springs and bald tyres on the back who do burnouts in the maccas car park with their girlfriend and kid in the car (yes im thinking of ferntree gully maccas!)

That all said the Police/Government are happy to blame speeding for road deaths and try to look like they are addressing the problem by putting speed cameras everywhere which makes them massive amounts of revenue. To back this up i can lose all my points then still be allowed to drive by getting a 1 year GBB where they know they can make some more money when im done speeding again rather then getting me off the roads!!!!!

tell me about it, i was coming home from uni along the eastern freeway this arvo...yes it was raining...but the chick in front of me in the far right lane (meant to be empty) was doing about 80...there was no way i was going to get closer to here due to the fact that it was wet, but really i just pulled into the middle lane which was going faster than her....seriously learn you f**king road rules you stupid di*kheads!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Reap, that wasn't directed at you. Yur only quoting part of what I said.

People think a speed limit must be adhered too. This is the thinking of the majority even in this thread. It is a limit, not a competition. On this basis, there is no reason many roads could not be a certain speed and police could then use discretion when they think a driver is exceeding what is a safe speed. As they can do now.

Umm., hang on.....so you're saying that just because the sign permits 140 (hypothetically) doesn't mean you have to travel at that speed. Have I got that part right? Or are you saying that the speed should remain at 11o for example, but police can use discretion to permit some drivers to exceed the limit? How would that work - how would police know who was fit to travel over the limit and who wasn't? Would it be based on car type, driver age, passenger numbers....?

If it's the first option, let's imagine Joe Bloggs, who decides 140 is too much, he's much more comfortable at 100, so it's ok to drive at that speed, even if the surrounding traffic wants to do 140 and it's legal to do so?

Isn't that the problem we already have with turds travelling at well under the existing limits? Aren't they already the precipitants to accidents, frustrated drivers, dangerous manoevres to get around them, road rage etc? Yet you advocate even higher limits that need not be complied with?

Sorry Minux, your thinkings a bit off key on this one.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I don't have an issue with people not wanting to do the posted speed limit as long as they use the left lane and let others pass them.

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Umm., hang on.....so you're saying that just because the sign permits 140 (hypothetically) doesn't mean you have to travel at that speed. Have I got that part right? Or are you saying that the speed should remain at 11o for example, but police can use discretion to permit some drivers to exceed the limit? How would that work - how would police know who was fit to travel over the limit and who wasn't? Would it be based on car type, driver age, passenger numbers....?

If it's the first option, let's imagine Joe Bloggs, who decides 140 is too much, he's much more comfortable at 100, so it's ok to drive at that speed, even if the surrounding traffic wants to do 140 and it's legal to do so?

Isn't that the problem we already have with turds travelling at well under the existing limits? Aren't they already the precipitants to accidents, frustrated drivers, dangerous manoevres to get around them, road rage etc? Yet you advocate even higher limits that need not be complied with?

Sorry Minux, your thinkings a bit off key on this one.

As said before, there's nothing wrong with doing under the speed limit if you're an old lady or you're nervous etc. that's completely fine, and in fact i applaud them for doing so, out of safety. AS LONG AS THEY STAY TO THE LEFT!!!

Otherwise, higher LIMITS would IMO be beneficial in select circumstances, and especially provided the government has more focus on driver TRAINING rather than driver RESTRAINING.
Then an agreeable safe speed as determined by the (hopefully wise) driver would be fine, even if that happened to be 140 on the hume (which in some ares would be perfectly fine)

HellSoldier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SV6
Realistically it's about time people learning their driving lessons are told to complete 5 safe driving course;
1) Pinpoint driving
2) Defensive driving
3) Wet weather driving
4) Hazardous road driving
5) Basic mechanics 101

The first 4 would prepare a driver for any situation, sliding in wet weather, sudden breaking and preventing over/under steer when avoiding a near accident, cornering on gravel roads etc.

And basic mechanics.. how many times has someone gone over the westgate, bumper to bumper because some idiot doesn't know how to jump start his car?

Funny thing is a mate of mine once got pulled over for going the speed limit. Cop gave him **** for going 100 in the right hand lane when everyone else was going 80. Long and the short of it, my mate told the copper that he couldn't place a fine and in actually others doing more then 15km's below the speed limit in the right hand lane should be fined as a reminder; stay to the left. Copper laughed and said damn right but just be careful.

Color coding system on cars would give indication of what the driver has done as far as courses. Have the car modified to respond to RF sweeps so it sends out a single saying "Hey, ID 4123425 has done x y z course. Going a bit fast, pull em over, tell em to be careful". To often though in Law, it's a case of one law fits all so those who can handle going at 100km's (Caldar freeway anyone?) can't as the posted sign is 80km's due to stupidity.

*sadface*

I'm not saying that we should have speed limits of 140km's. In fact with current drivers on the roads (Not going to point out which groups of people.. let's not bother), the quality of roads and the likely-hood of a car accident damaging other people property, it's not too worth it. But definitately, it's time to train up the drivers on the roads and those who are on their L's. And those who want to go out and get their extra driving Certs, give them some breathing room with the speed limits.

Oh and one more addition to the above 5.

BASIC ENGLISH.

I helped a Viet women get to the airport 2 weeks ago, she stopped. In the middle of the tulla turn off to bell st. Why? She couldn't understand the ####ing GPS.

God. Damn. Mental.

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
The problem with the speed limits, especially in NSW, is that there is a knee jerk reaction after an accident and they reduce the speed limit. 9 times out of 10 this would not have stopped the accident as
A. The driver was speeding in the first place, so would have ignored the lower limit anyway
B. The driver screwed up and would have screwed up as bad weather they were going slower on not
C. Environmental factors such as rain, slippery roads etc.

Driver training will help, better roads would as well, but increasing the limit on good country roads to 110 like in VIC and SA, and the limit on our freeways to 120 or 130 would have no appreciable effect on accidents. They then need to clamp down on crap cars that should be off the road, and better driver training.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
I actually think on main highways with multiple lanes at night for example between hours of 1am and 4am should have a different speed limit. I can never see 140km/h been allowed in Australia but maybe variable speed limit for late night driving. When there are very little people on the road, as I am a victim of faituge at night driving long distance on the freeway - i admittedly say that on a few occasions where i had to drive down the M1 from Citylink to Pakenham i've almost fallen asleep and have raised my speed to 130~km/h and it made me much more alert due to the speed i was traveling at. Long distance 100km/h is very boring and becomes a sore eye after more than 15 minutes.