Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would it take to get higher speed limits in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justcommodores1

Reaction score
Members Ride
In Perth, a white dualcab ute with canopy on the side of the road is a giveaway
Yes but the cameras have a huge range lol.
By the time people see it they're already detected
Envious of people who save time by speeding and never get caught

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
NSW has recently re-introduced the warning signs of a mobile speed camera car, and the number of fines for exceeding the limit has dropped dramatically.
In the TV report, I don't know if the Govt was congratulating the motoring public for their compliance, or lamenting the loss of revenue.

justcommodores1

Reaction score
Members Ride
NSW has recently re-introduced the warning signs of a mobile speed camera car, and the number of fines for exceeding the limit has dropped dramatically.
In the TV report, I don't know if the Govt was congratulating the motoring public for their compliance, or lamenting the loss of revenue.
yes but by the time you can see the warning sign it's already detected the speed

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
ohh lucky! haha
but how do people know the mobile cameras are there on a freeway anyway? aren't they hidden?
or do apps like waze point out all the speed cams (both fixed and mobile)?
Most of the time they use the cut outs in the concrete barriers (normally used by construction/maintenance vehicles) to sit behind.

A lot of the time they are only visible in your rear view mirror after you’ve passed them (after you’ve been done) but if your perceptive enough sometimes you‘ll spot the van roof sticking out above the barrier or the side of the vehicle because they aren’t far enough over on the shoulder.

They stick out like dogs balls from the opposite side of the road of course as the barrier cut outs don’t hide them on the opposing side!

justcommodores1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most of the time they use the cut outs in the concrete barriers (normally used by construction/maintenance vehicles) to sit behind.

A lot of the time they are only visible in your rear view mirror after you’ve passed them (after you’ve been done) but if your perceptive enough sometimes you‘ll spot the van roof sticking out above the barrier or the side of the vehicle because they aren’t far enough over on the shoulder.

They stick out like dogs balls from the opposite side of the road of course as the barrier cut outs don’t hide them on the opposing side!
if i understand correctly, they always get both sides of the road unless it's a motorway

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
well many people still seem to speed without getting caught
I wonder how on earth they do it
A lot of idiots speed everywhere and then wonder why they get caught. I may or may not speed sometimes in certain circumstances but it’s about making a strategic gamble.

Basically I’ll only “speed“ on roads that I know intimately (so I know where the cameras sit) and only for a short period of time, ie: To GTF out of the right hand lane or get in front of a truck that’s throwing rocks at me. Or getting up to speed to enter the motorway (it’s safer to be doing 110kph entering a 100kph motorway and dab the brakes to match speed).

Speeding habitually all the time is a fool’s errand that’s going to get you caught eventually.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
yes, but the approach in australia is that since pedestrians can be stupid, they lower the speed limit
why not educate pedestrians to look both ways before crossing the road?
it's not rocket science ffs
Problem with this country is, we have to regulate against the idiots....Reducing speed limits is one f the educating ways against the idiots not looking

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
At least you get warning signs there. We have zero requirement for that here in QLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.