Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

160,000km service gearbox? Done at local mechanic runs beautiful. Midas go there from now on. Stay away from DANS TRANS BKTWN!!

Gg.cl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vf commodore sv6 2017
A lot of people are scared. And it is certainly important to do it right. But think of it this way, the sump is essentially a bucket of oil. How difficult can it be to empty the bucket and fill it back up to the right level... ?
Yeh but there seals and gaskets involved too and with these later models by late i mean2017 late to me…there must be more involved if this guy says he can’t even do them without them failing. 6 speeds are a lot different to 4 speed etc also.
Anyway I got it done at my local servo/ mechanic 480 full service engine and transmission. Runs beautiful not a problem at all. These guys do them all the time so I know where I’ll be bringing my car from now on…

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Just out of curiosity, why didn’t you ask for a receipt after getting the transmission recon or rebuild?
Nice chunk of money.
Should you sell the car, people would expect to see a reciept of such work and they would be inclined to not believe the work took place

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeh but there seals and gaskets involved too and with these later models by late i mean2017 late to me…there must be more involved if this guy says he can’t even do them without them failing. 6 speeds are a lot different to 4 speed etc also.
Anyway I got it done at my local servo/ mechanic 480 full service engine and transmission. Runs beautiful not a problem at all. These guys do them all the time so I know where I’ll be bringing my car from now on…
Nope they are the same. A sump is a sump. A bucket is a bucket. Doesn't matter if it's a bucket of rocks or gold bars. The only difference is one has a dipstick and the other has a fill hole. A chain store mechanic telling you something doesn't tell you much except he has either been unlucky and worked on a lot of flogged out transmissions or has no idea what he's talking about, or just as likely didn't want to do that job for some reason. As we all know the whole filled for life load of bullshit puts a lot of people off having a fluid change until they notice big problems, and by then they are living on borrowed time before D Day. And that's the window of time old mate would be seeing most people ask for a transmission service.
Anyway, glad you found a decent mechanic!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My suspicion is that there might be a risk of getting some dirt or grit in to that ‘bucket’ and the dirt or grit causes issues with the valve body? Don’t know, and just speculating. I would have thought that the filter would catch and debris before it can cause any harm?

It does make me wonder if it’d be a good idea to do a thorough clean of the outside of the box before letting anyone service it?
Keeping your car clean has all sorts of benefits! Clean everything before you start working, and don't work on a dirt floor with dirty tools on a windy day...

Gg.cl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just out of curiosity, why didn’t you ask for a receipt after getting the transmission recon or rebuild?
Nice chunk of money.
Should you sell the car, people would expect to see a reciept of such work and they would be inclined to not believe the work took place
I got a receipt but he still kept riding me for more cash. I’m not a car expert especially when come to transmissions so I fell for the **** he spun about changing this and that… charge for a service and doing me a favour… I didn’t know till the end he was supposed to rebuild the entire thing so I just got duped.
When i finally found out he never changed the computer and month’s later when he finally changed it when he finished it and again asked for more cash. At that point I said no more money that’s it and he chucked a huge tantrum and told me get my care out of there and go. So I left 6-7k lighter and a transmission that probably wasn’t done right and only changed the part that was playing up (computer) and the dude just seen $$$ and just didn’t want to work without getting paid even when his doing work I already paid for. Real jerk
STAY AWAY FROM “DANS TRANS BANKSTOWN “ IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR COMMY WORKING

Gg.cl

Reaction score
Members Ride
My suspicion is that there might be a risk of getting some dirt or grit in to that ‘bucket’ and the dirt or grit causes issues with the valve body? Don’t know, and just speculating. I would have thought that the filter would catch and debris before it can cause any harm?

It does make me wonder if it’d be a good idea to do a thorough clean of the outside of the box before letting anyone service it?
I don’t know maybe your right but it’s done now. Thanks for the comment will keep it in mind next service

Gg.cl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope they are the same. A sump is a sump. A bucket is a bucket. Doesn't matter if it's a bucket of rocks or gold bars. The only difference is one has a dipstick and the other has a fill hole. A chain store mechanic telling you something doesn't tell you much except he has either been unlucky and worked on a lot of flogged out transmissions or has no idea what he's talking about, or just as likely didn't want to do that job for some reason. As we all know the whole filled for life load of bullshit puts a lot of people off having a fluid change until they notice big problems, and by then they are living on borrowed time before D Day. And that's the window of time old mate would be seeing most people ask for a transmission service.
Anyway, glad you found a decent mechanic!
This is what I mean by mechanically somewhat smart but I guess rebuilding a Honda CR 125 is a it different to cars I take that comment back

Gg.cl

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is what I mean by mechanically somewhat smart but I guess rebuilding a Honda CR 125 is a it different to cars I take that comment back
Thanks for all the advice much appreciated. About the rebuild I might take it to fair trading…..

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Bit too late to be of help, but ... Bankstown area has a pretty awful reputation, I'd tend to avoid any sort of business there where you don't see the work being done &/or don't 100% know the end-result.
Harsh I guess, but also kinda true.