Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

160,000km service gearbox? Done at local mechanic runs beautiful. Midas go there from now on. Stay away from DANS TRANS BKTWN!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
To add to my post… my trans failed a year ago and had to get it refurbished and I got ripped off he didn’t change the computer which was the problem the whole time. He charged me every time I brought it back. Originally costed 5.5k ended up costing almost 7k in the end I found out from the only supplier that he never changed it!! And wanted to charge me for the computer yet again once he finally fixed the problem!!! Every part was supposed to be new! Idk what to do with the trans or where to take it
I‘d suggest you ring Office of Fair Trading and chat to them about your trans issue of a year ago and how you were cheated (by being provided unnecessary services and being charging for stuff not replaced). You may be advised a course of action and what could be done to claw back some if not all of what you paid. NCAT may or may not be involved.

Peeves me off when crook mechanics cheat people out of good money (equal to more than a month of average wages). Ream them if you can…

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Haha yeh exactly what I’m doing cheers
I'm curious which shop did the rebuild for you. Was it on the north side of the bridge by any chance??

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
In most cases I've found my own transmission services at home are twice as good as most mechanics and trans shops. So if you are mechanical and do other servicing yourself then research how to do the transmission and think about it. A drain and fill is not complicated. But really, unless you have done a LOT of towing in the last year why is it needed already?
Also, any idea why the first trans failed?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
In most cases I've found my own transmission services at home are twice as good as most mechanics and trans shops.
Exactly this, just recently done the auto trans service on my Mazda at home and it’s really not that hard, I found after one fluid dump and filter change and refill the fluid was still black so ended up doing it 3 times to get nice clean fluid

Gg.cl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vf commodore sv6 2017
that tells you about him and his business ;)
i wouldnt be leaving my vehicle with him.
Well no definitely not lol. Who tells you we’ll do it but it will fail?!?!
Just say no we haven’t got the skill set here sorry…

Gg.cl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe yes. I did read that bit but it's still kinda vague. Transmission module or something else?
Dunno mate. It just failed and he was supposed to do a refurb. Ie change all internal parts… the problem was the computer and he didn’t change it till another 4 visits and another 3 and half odd grand…
I had to call peninsular motors ( the only supplier in the entire area) and found out non was ordered in the time frame he worked on it. Then he changed it. Funny thing is he actually asked for more money again and when I refused he turned from the meek trustworthy Tran mech to chunking a full blown tantrum lol DANS TRANS. Stay away

Gg.cl

Reaction score
Members Ride
In most cases I've found my own transmission services at home are twice as good as most mechanics and trans shops. So if you are mechanical and do other servicing yourself then research how to do the transmission and think about it. A drain and fill is not complicated. But really, unless you have done a LOT of towing in the last year why is it needed already?
Also, any idea why the first trans failed?
I think it’s because it was never serviced before I bought it but honestly no idea it should’ve been fine bought it at 50,000kms failed around 90,000 started off just little slips to complete failure to engage without back and forth movements was a nightmare. Always drove it smoothly don’t know why it happened no