Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1965 HD Holden 355 stroker

355HD

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy commodore s pack/ 355 stroker 1965 HD Holden
thanks man yeah i sort of went off the idea about the inner guards for the fact the only ones ive seen they cut dirt big hole but i guess if you do it right anything can look good i've gotta go and see fatpipes at lawnton (the ones making my headers) and see what they can come up but i will be sure to ask them about the heat issue thanks for that guys!

dk4400

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 UTE
Very nice :) good to see these old girls comeing back to life, I was going to put an 8 in my HR, but on a tight budget with it, for now :).
As with the exhaust, personally I would go the block huggers, and just cover them with that heat proof wrap stuff.
Looks great so far.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i wasnt really commenting on heat, its just i saw an EH once, (which share similar inner guards i think) and the owner had cut out holes 1/2" larger than the individual extractor pipes, so each pipe had its own little hole and it looked amazing. be a bitch to take off later though :s

dunno anything about the heat thingo.

dk4400

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 UTE
NO,NO,NO.....Worst idea ever!

Why is it so? many people use this technique to cover turbo exhausts etc, if its done neatly it looks ok IMO that is of course, I have never seen a decent job of cutting out the inner guards
as it always look bodgy and doesnt keep in with trying to keep the original look and integrity of the engine bay, the only cars that look good with extractors coming straight off the block are Model T Fords and the like, well thats just me anyway.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Why is it so? many people use this technique to cover turbo exhausts etc, if its done neatly it looks ok IMO that is of course, I have never seen a decent job of cutting out the inner guards
as it always look bodgy and doesnt keep in with trying to keep the original look and integrity of the engine bay, the only cars that look good with extractors coming straight off the block are Model T Fords and the like, well thats just me anyway.

That heat wrap is ****, i've seen cracked extractors a few times from people using that rubbish. If you are going to try and keep heat in the pipes, then do it properly and get them properly coated. You reckon holes in the inner guards looks bodgy, but header wrap is acceptable? LOL.

There is good reason why most early Holdens are out through that guards, that's because it's the best way to do it both in terms of fitting the engine/accessories and getting heat out of the engine/bay. Also, like i said, it can be kept neat if you're not a hack...;)

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Here are the photos of the HR i'm in the process of building for a customer at the moment....

Image0013600x450.jpg

Image0012600x450.jpg

Image0011600x450.jpg

Last edited:

dk4400

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 UTE
Very nice, like your work Blown V6 Hatch, thats a very neat engine bay, do you do the stearing conversion as well? with the exhaust like this, does it give better clearance as aposed to the block hugger type? do you run the rack in front or a rear type? is there much difference between them both? also what type of brake set up do you run? so many questions, sorry :) but am also in the middle of building my HR and not sure which way to go with it ( V8 or leave it a 6 ).
Looks great do you have anymore pics of this and other HR builds?
Cheers.