Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Well I got these wheels for $400 with pretty much brand new Bridgestone Potenzas on them. Guy told me they were for a VF but turns they have a 73mm hub center so I just need hub rings to safely drive on them.

Initially I was going to swap the tyres between rims so I could resell them and pretty much have new tyres for cheap as. I realised just before I went to pick them up that 245/45/18 will put the speedo out like 5% and might not clear the front strut either. I hate when people pull out of deals on me so bought them anyway and just relisted them for a few extra bucks not in a rush to sell.

Yesterday I got bored and dummy fitted them out of curiosity at the same time realizing the hub centers wouldn't need to be drilled. I must say I don't love them but don't hate them more than the current ones. So figured I might as well get some hub centers and give them a role for a few weeks. They also clear the strut easily which is good.

My plans this year are to do the diff at some time so I'm just going to get a speedo corrector and chuck them on too see how they go for a while.

20200530_155417.jpg
20200530_103302.jpg
20200530_155447.jpg

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Ended up selling the wheels. Made $150 bucks profit on them off the first dude who showed up so that was good.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should order a Mace intake, short shifter, o2 sensor, PS line and get some custom plates this week or spend all the money on the exhaust seen as I have the mufflers sitting there.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Well the bits will prob cost near the same as the exhaust so i would do exhaust first, then get the other bits as you can afford then.
I had a MACE Short Shifter, made a world of difference compared to the old sloppy shifter i had.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Well the bits will prob cost near the same as the exhaust so i would do exhaust first, then get the other bits as you can afford then.
I had a MACE Short Shifter, made a world of difference compared to the old sloppy shifter i had.

Yeah I'm really keen on the shifter and thought I may as well order the CAI at the same time.

Exhaust joints booked out for over 2 weeks so I'm going to order a few bits this week to keep myself happy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I'm really keen on the shifter and thought I may as well order the CAI at the same time.

You'll love the Mace CAI , that, decent headers and a tune and you will notice a nice little improvement. I can't remember what other mods you already have?

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
You'll love the Mace CAI , that, decent headers and a tune and you will notice a nice little improvement. I can't remember what other mods you already have?

Yeah I have pacemakers and a dual 2.25" as is. Also recently got an Ace tune so I figure getting the exhaust upgraded as it's currently old as hell, a CAI and some diff gears in the next few weeks will set me up for real engine work later in the year.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Booked in for exhaust at the end of the month and ordered a CAI and short shifter whilst bored at work the other day. Pretty keen for all of it!!!

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Installed the Mace CAI last night then took it for a drive to work and thrashed it about a bit today.

I could feel a noticeable amount of low down torque lost but it certainly gained some up top. Is this normal?

It’s also not as loud as people say induction wise but certainly sounds better than stock.
I'm not sure how I feel about it yet..

Last week I did a quick respray of the strut bar with some leftover hi temp paint and slapped some stickers on it I’ve had piling up for something different. Will probably all flake off but whatever looks much better than it did.

Will start installing the short shifter later tonight if I can be bothered.

20200617_195221.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On my V6 the Mace CAI mainly helped down low when pulling the trailer. It went from lots of throttle to quite a bit less with the CAI fitted.
I wonder if having a MAF makes it behave differently?

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
On my V6 the Mace CAI mainly helped down low when pulling the trailer. It went from lots of throttle to quite a bit less with the CAI fitted.
I wonder if having a MAF makes it behave differently?

I was actually thinking about the MAF. It had pretty much nothing down low the first few corners but seemed to get better. I wasn't sure if it was all in my head and I was just getting used to it or if it was tuning itself. Not sure how they work with the ecu to be honest?