Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20” by 10 with 275/30/20 all around is it possible? Please do help

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Like all things spare parts, Holden would use your VIN to determine the correct tyre placard for your specific model variant. So I wonder about the legality of adding a tyre placard from a different model variant to your car. I believe it’s technically not kosher, especially as model variant and the related RVD clearly specify legal rim/tyre combos.

To add confusion, modification rules allow one to increase rim diameter and width according to defined rules (around track width, diameter, clearance and such) but speed rating and load rating must not be downgraded from that on the tyre placard specific to your model variant.

One odd proviso is that modification rules allow another warning sticker can be added to the bottom right of the windscreen, within vision of the driver, to warn that the fitted tyre‘s speed rating is lower than that required by the tyre placard. Oddly this makes fitting lower speed rating tyres legal but the same rules for lower load ratings don’t seem to exist…

It‘s all convoluted and dynamic as the interpretation of the rules seem to change with time but the principle that you must stay within tyre placard load and speed ratings is true. That is, don’t downgrade tyre load rating else you’ll be unroadworthy :p

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
what is the load rating for 20 inch tyres?

Here's GenF HSV tyre placard 20" staggered.

20220314_213903.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
That’s a little different to the eBay link VC posted…
That's a VE HSV tyre placard. VE didn't use 255/35 front and 275/35 rear I believe was solely a VF fitment.

modification rules allow one to increase rim diameter and width according to defined rules (around track width, diameter, clearance and such)

In SA, you can't fit a tyre more than 15mm diameter greater than the largest diameter tyre for that model or more than 15mm less diameter than the smallest diameter tyre listed. The OP's 295/25 is 655mm and the smallest diameter 20" tyre is a 275/30 674mm so in SA the 295/25 (19mm less) is too small in diameter to comply with the wheel/tyre modification rule. Likewise, load rating can't be less than the minimum rating for that specific vehicle and a 95 load rating doesn't comply either.

In SA and they're a lot slacker than some other states with modifications, the OP's 295/25 x 20 on a VF Commodore is an illegal fitment.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a VE HSV tyre placard. VE didn't use 255/35 front and 275/35 rear I believe was solely a VF fitment.
The eBay add stated “HSV HOLDEN COMMODORE VF GEN-F TYRE PLACARD SUIT 19 & 20 INCH WHEELS RIMS GENUINE”?

Wouldn’t be the first time an eBay seller misrepresented what they we’re selling :eek:
In SA and they're a lot slacker than some other states with modifications, the OP's 295/25 x 20 on a VF Commodore is an illegal fitment.
Yes, don’t doubt it.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The eBay add stated “HSV HOLDEN COMMODORE VF GEN-F TYRE PLACARD SUIT 19 & 20 INCH WHEELS RIMS GENUINE”?
Wouldn’t be the first time an eBay seller misrepresented what they we’re selling :eek:

I'm not sure what Gen-F's had 19" wheels but some VE's certainly did like the GXP and a couple of others. There's a lot of VE parts listed on eBay for VF we know don't fit VF's. Someone buys it on face value then has dramas getting a refund.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm not sure what Gen-F's had 19" wheels but some VE's certainly did like the GXP and a couple of others. There's a lot of VE parts listed on eBay for VF we know don't fit VF's. Someone buys it on face value then has dramas getting a refund.

The E Series Clubsports when released in late 2006 came stock with 19's and 20's were an option.

This is mine with the 19's.

IMG_0234 ab.jpg

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Here's a 20x10 ET35 I tried on the front of my old R8 with a 255/35, mega stretch and the rim stuck outside the guard and was nearly touching the strut on the inside and wasn't workable for me.

IMG_20170525_170638696_HDR (2).jpg