Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20” by 10 with 275/30/20 all around is it possible? Please do help

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I've tested this before with vehicle inspectors and HSV is "Holden" Special vehicles and you tell them it's an option or accessory, factory go fast gear like all the BMW M Performance parts you can buy. Most of the SA vehicle inspectors will let something go with a plausible explanation I've found, it's more if you're rude or argue with them too much they'll dig deeper into the rule book. A few times they haven't measured the track with decent offset wheels and HSV centre caps, "are they Clubsport wheels mate?", yeah that's it!

My ute would fail being too low, I'd have to raise it a bit to pass a rego inspection but surprisingly, I did get it through with film 20 tint on the side windows as it had QLD rego when buying it and had to be inspected for SA rego.
Sailing close to the wind :cool:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had one tyre supplied by a tyre fitter for my redline and I queried at the time the speed rating was not the same as original. 270 instead of 300. I've now got one 98W fitted to the front of my vehicle and one 98Y on the other side. What you have written above will cause my car to be unroadworthy. The tyre has been on the car for 2 years now.

Sure would be....Law stipulates the load and speed rating should be the same or higher than what is specified on the placard.....

My personal opinion is, the speed rating should be an issue,as in this country we shouldn't get upto the speeds the tyre is rated at, however my opinion and the laws differ in this area....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@Anthony121, yes technically your vehicle is now unroadworthy but you could always ring up the technical section of vicroads and ask 2 different people but get 3 different answer as one guy changes his mind :p:p:p

There would be a bulletin out about this....So the call I'd be making isn't to ask is my car unroadworthy because of it....It'd be, can I have a copy of the bulletin relating to this...;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
My personal opinion is, the speed rating should be an issue,as in this country we shouldn't get upto the speeds the tyre is rated at, however my opinion and the laws differ in this area....
And you can legally get around the lower speed rating by putting a warning sticker on the bottom right of the windscreen to make it legal (just can't legally change the tyre placard :p)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And you can legally get around the lower speed rating by putting a warning sticker on the bottom right of the windscreen to make it legal (just can't legally change the tyre placard :p)

I would imagine that sticker would have to come from the transport department for it to have any weight...Other wise any Tom Dick or Harry would be able to do it and everything would be sweet....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
There would be a bulletin out about this....So the call I'd be making isn't to ask is my car unroadworthy because of it....It'd be, can I have a copy of the bulletin relating to this...;)
Buy they can't help themselves and always editorialise :rolleyes:

Sadly whats written has poorly defined terminology which provides uncertanty in exactly what model variant means :oops: Currently different government departments use the term differently but that will change over time as the term focuses on the interpetation the regulatory parts of DOTARS understand the meaning :oops: until then, enjoy the vagueness :p

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would imagine that sticker would have to come from the transport department for it to have any weight...Other wise any Tom Dick or Harry would be able to do it and everything would be sweet....
The sticker and what it must specify is documented in a government tyre modification doc i posted up a few times in other threads.
The sticker is clearly defined and worded and where it must be placed. Who sells them and where they can be sourced i have no idea cause the doc makes no mention of that...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The sticker and what it must specify is documented in a government tyre modification doc i posted up a few times in other threads.
The sticker is clearly defined and worded and where it must be placed. Who sells them and where they can be sourced i have no idea cause the doc makes no mention of that...

I would imagine it would be available through the transport dept, or an engineer linked to them to sign off on this sort of modification....

I would imagine having this done would be more expensive than actually buying the correctly load and speed rated tyres in the first place

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would imagine it would be available through the transport dept, or an engineer linked to them to sign off on this sort of modification....

I would imagine having this done would be more expensive than actually buying the correctly load and speed rated tyres in the first place
It doesn't need to be engineered and signed off...

Really, if one has a printer than can handle quality stickers, in theory they should be able to print their own and fix them to the windscreem ;)
Its possibly a service to sell to your customers who have odd high speed tyres that are hard to get but something slower and otherwise identical is readily available :p

( and as i said, load ratings are a different kettle of fish )

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Isn't there something similar of the Marloo?
No, there isn't any tyre size selection in the Maloo ECM programming like there is for non HSV vehicles. The Maloo speed calibration module # 92293988