Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VS V6 Ute Aircon repair

Old63

Old63
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Olympic Edition
Hi all, tried to regal the system, but leaking out of the compressor shaft. Been told I need a new compressor, tx valve, and Receiver Dryer, then gas her up.
What’s a reasonable cost estimate for a reman compressor etc to get her going, and is this all I need ?
Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Call Cooldrive and price one up. They are one of the cheapest places for AC parts.

Also pay to get a camera inside the heater box. The VR and VS have a habit of gunking up the evaps, and the heater cores are also getting pretty old.

Old63

Old63
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Olympic Edition
Call Cooldrive and price one up. They are one of the cheapest places for AC parts.

Also pay to get a camera inside the heater box. The VR and VS have a habit of gunking up the evaps, and the heater cores are also getting pretty old.
Thanks mate, I’ll check out Cooldrive Auto Parts, Mackay Q, let you know how I get on down the track, cheers for now

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i had to replaced the compressor on the vs ute 2 months ago cant get new anymore they have been discontinued, the shop charge me $175 for 2nd hand $220 labour including gst and $200 for the AC bloke, leak test and regas

i have seen new compressors online but there is a risk hope it fits and works which you dont know if the shop did it and there is a problem they wear the cost thats why when they rang me about that they can get a 2nd hand from the wreckers i have no problem with that and it work fine

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
i had to replaced the compressor on the vs ute 2 months ago cant get new anymore they have been discontinued, the shop charge me $175 for 2nd hand $220 labour including gst and $200 for the AC bloke, leak test and regas

i have seen new compressors online but there is a risk hope it fits and works which you dont know if the shop did it and there is a problem they wear the cost thats why when they rang me about that they can get a 2nd hand from the wreckers i have no problem with that and it work fine
The problem with secondhand units is that you have no idea as to how long that one will last if it's an original one and is also of the same age as yours is. What you need is a secondhand one that's relatively newish and has been replaced not that long ago, then that is really good value for money.

I went through this with a Holden Vectra which I inherited from the Father-in-Law. It still had the original unit fitted which was spewing out gas and oil via the front seal and he had the thing repaired by 2 so-called reputable repair outlets that advertise all the time. All they did was take his money gas it up and then only for it to leak out again within 6 to 8 months. I was lucky to find a Vectra B that was handed in as a trade in to a car yard and then went to U-Pull-it. It was in fabulous condition and it also had it's compressor changed approximately 18 months ago, so for $65 I couldn't go wrong. The A/C system works perfectly now. Sadly the gassing side of things is something we can't do ourselves due to the legalities of it and that became the major cost here, but you just can't get away from that..........unless you have a mate that does this type of work and has the right gear.

Old63

Old63
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Olympic Edition
Ok will ke

ok, will keep this in mind, will do some research, couple of phone calls as previously recommended and see what looks good, cheers for now

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
The problem with secondhand units is that you have no idea as to how long that one will last if it's an original one and is also of the same age as yours is. What you need is a secondhand one that's relatively newish and has been replaced not that long ago, then that is really good value for money.

I went through this with a Holden Vectra which I inherited from the Father-in-Law. It still had the original unit fitted which was spewing out gas and oil via the front seal and he had the thing repaired by 2 so-called reputable repair outlets that advertise all the time. All they did was take his money gas it up and then only for it to leak out again within 6 to 8 months. I was lucky to find a Vectra B that was handed in as a trade in to a car yard and then went to U-Pull-it. It was in fabulous condition and it also had it's compressor changed approximately 18 months ago, so for $65 I couldn't go wrong. The A/C system works perfectly now. Sadly the gassing side of things is something we can't do ourselves due to the legalities of it and that became the major cost here, but you just can't get away from that..........unless you have a mate that does this type of work and has the right gear.
2nd hand parts i know are a risk but sometime you have no choice unless someone starts a business to refurbish AC compressors for commodores or any make you cant new anymore

Reactions: Lex

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes, A/C compressors used to be reconditioned some years ago, but with the influx of Chinese new ones it has become no longer financially viable to rebuild old ones especially with the cost of labour being far too high nowadays. As such the skill of doing this has now pretty much been lost, thus why I sourced a low Km secondhand unit for the Vectra B

Reactions: Lex