Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VE SS Low Oil Pressure

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
had that in mine didnt even know as i was removing the sump to do sump gasket and herd a rattling around and found just the metal spring from the tensioner in there, i changed to a early LS2 wishbone type tensioner much better will never fall apart
Apparently it’s reasonably common, almost a good enough excuse to cam it up while your in there checking it

TheGrimReaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Thank you for all the replies going to try and Answer them all here (forgive me if I’ve missed someone)
Firstly I brought the car from a dealer just over a week ago (got f&$ked by there marketing on extended warrantees). I’m not sure what oil is in it but looking in log book it hasn’t missed a service and it’s been done at Holden so I’m assuming it’s the right oil. Secondly car has done 215,000 not bad for 2006 model I think. I am taking it to the mechanics to find the ticking problem but his concern is ticking lifter to which he has told if it was it would be best to change all as well as camshaft. So now my problem I’m wanting to put a new bigger cam in when he does lifters but worried on price. Basicly all lifters replaced new performance cam. I’m assuming when he takes it down to the heads there will need to be new gaskets on the rebuild. Could anyone tell me if the prices below could be a rough price ?

camshaft package $1200
Lifters $250
Gaskets and Stuff $250-$300
Labour (guessing 4 hours at $70) $280
Does this sound about right or would there be other stuff involved. Never done anything like this before so any advice it appreciated.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
will have to add a tune also if ur changing camshaft

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea prob somewhere around there, should include auto also

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Labour would be more than 4 hours.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also I would get the cam bearings checked for clearance. We've had a few at work over three thou so we change them.
The oil pressure sensor only picks up pressure at the filter. Pressure after the cam gallery will be much lower than supply pressure.
This means if you have excessive pressure bleed off from loose cam bearings you get inadequate oil flow at the top end.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Also I would get the cam bearings checked for clearance. We've had a few at work over thou so we change them.
I‘ve heard what they say about the cam bearings. If you check your cam bearings they will be farked!

Dunno how much truth to it there is as the only V8 I’ve rebuilt was my Holden 5 litre but when I checked it the cam bearings were worn. Needless to say i left them in there as it was too hard to change them out!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I‘ve heard what they say about the cam bearings. If you check your cam bearings they will be farked!

Dunno how much truth to it there is as the only V8 I’ve rebuilt was my Holden 5 litre but when I checked it the cam bearings were worn. Needless to say i left them in there as it was too hard to change them out!

On a holden 5 liter that's probably okay as too much oil gets to the top end on those.

Martys

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR station wagon VE SSV 6.LT GEN 1V LS2
My 6.LT OIL PRESSURE bar keeps reading 1 at idol did you have this problem its always been reading 3 until 4 weeks ago only had the car 4 months HOLDENS mechanic is trying to tell me its normal i keep telling him its too.low