Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 VE V6 getting hot

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I had a faulty Radiator Cap and searched were to get one,
The GM ones were way over priced,
I ended up getting a CPC one from Mace Engineering for a 1/3 of the price of a GM one at the stealers [Dealers],
And is working correctly, no problem with the CPC after market one from Mace.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I thought genuine radiator cap is made by CPC?

Probably is :confused:

I didn't want to go for a cheap and nasty one, or a S/hand one from a wrecker.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I had a faulty Radiator Cap and searched were to get one,
The GM ones were way over priced,
I ended up getting a CPC one from Mace Engineering for a 1/3 of the price of a GM one at the stealers [Dealers],
And is working correctly, no problem with the CPC after market one from Mace.
My Genuine VE V6 radiator Cap cost me around $22 with tax at a Holden Dealers. I was surprised it was so cheap from Holden. The Original was around the same price that I purchased the supercheap Trident one that leaked. Also I replaced the input alloy pipe where the cap screws in as the original one was ok but not perfect.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
My Genuine VE V6 radiator Cap cost me around $22 with tax at a Holden Dealers. I was surprised it was so cheap from Holden. The Original was around the same price that I purchased the supercheap Trident one that leaked. Also I replaced the input alloy pipe where the cap screws in as the original one was ok but not perfect.
Always check genuine prices from holden

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV
Thanks for the advice all! (I didn't get a notification for the replies).

So genuine cap from Holden was $19.95, fitted that and went on a 20 minute test drive, all seemed good!..

Went for a longer drive the next day and on the high I had steady temps, at the first set of lights the temp shot up to 120.. and both fans were on full, so I can rule out the previous question.

I've bought a water pump and gasket and the 2 o-rings for the inlet pipe which I'll do at the same time, thermostat will still have to wait for now. I've tried to get a drive belt but the 6pk2558 only seems to be available in the states, shops say 2555 will fit but won't that be 3mm shorter? Can I use the old one for now? It was changed at 100,000, I'm now at 162,000kms.

Thanks again!

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
6PK2555 is the right belt for the VE v6 Commodore.
While you at it,check the belt tensioner too.It shouldn't move too close to or over the reference mark.
If the spring inside it lost its strength ,wouldn't keep the belt tight, in turn,waterpump becomes inefficient and slow circulating water boils.

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV
6PK2555 is the right belt for the VE v6 Commodore.
While you at it,check the belt tensioner too.It shouldn't move too close to or over the reference mark.
If the spring inside it lost its strength ,wouldn't keep the belt tight, in turn,waterpump becomes inefficient and slow circulating water boils.
Thank you for confirming the belt, and that's interesting to know. I'll look into it next time I'm under the bonnet :)

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV
Tensioner looks good, pump and gasket changed, system flushed. New seals on water inlet, round one was where the weep was coming from. Temps have improved but still surging every so often so I'm up for a thermostat sooner than I hoped. Thanks all!