Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 VE V8 Radiator top tank busted

PhantomV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Motorsport Edition #007 NZ
Just in a car-park and hey, whats all this steam, and the radiator hose looked like it came off. But on further investigation it broke off. How many others have had this happen, can I go Holden for it? Is a new radiator the best choice or a new top tank? Really pissed off about this.

Attachments

• DSCN0440.jpg
    DSCN0440.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,438
  • DSCN0441.jpg
    DSCN0441.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,818
  • DSCN0442.jpg
    DSCN0442.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 7,489

huthy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Happened to me couple months ago. I just bought a new radiator (aftermarket),new top hose and I think there called worm clamps I put them on all the radiator hoses. I don't trust the clamps that were on there. Very easy to do yourself. Holden wanted I think $500 just for radiator from memory. Shop around. I got mine for $180 I think which was a koyo brand hope this helps

PhantomV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Motorsport Edition #007 NZ
The dealer is considering helping with this one, lets hope so. This should not happen on such a young car (only 80,000km)

LGW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
This us exactly what happened to me today! :( the top radiator hose blew off with the plastic pipe broken inside the hose. So what are my options? Do I need an whole new radiator? Does the pressure normally build up that much so it can cause the pipe to break like that?

71,000kms travelled. Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable with cars, just learning the basics! Cheers!

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
well this **** happened to me aswell today 19/04/13 my car is a 2006 ve ss just about to reach 70,000kms and same thing the flange broke off . im very PISSED OFF wheels car of the year my ass , more like the worst holden vehicle ever produced , radiator tanks made out of plastic that melts like cheese , complete garbage of a car .
is it easy to remove the radiator ? should i just bring the radiator to a place to repair the top tank ? is it even possible to repair ? so your saying the genuine radiator costs $500 you have got to be kidding me ? ive had a look on ebay they go for $189 delivered express . gonna find out tommorow what i can do about it .

im sorry but this kind of **** shouldnt happen UNLESS i was to blame by breaking it myself , i should send holden a bill for my ####ing time wasted to get this crap sorted out

Last edited:

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
I've been quoted by my mechanic $400 installed for a genuine one, mine needs to be done as the previous owner installed a non genuine one that while it works it isn't right (eg: radiator cap made from 2 different caps, cannot replace cap easily among other issues with it)
Getting done next service.

huthy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
I've been quoted by my mechanic $400 installed for a genuine one, mine needs to be done as the previous owner installed a non genuine one that while it works it isn't right (eg: radiator cap made from 2 different caps, cannot replace cap easily among other issues with it)
Getting done next service.

What do u mean radiator cap made from 2 different caps. Can you take a pic I'm curious. Or do u mean radiator cap is not even the genuine cap. Is it one of those push done and twist

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
rang up holden they want around $500 for a new radiator , rang up a radiator place they want $250 just for the radiator not including labor for fitment . looks like some guy on ebay is gonna get my cash . in the meantime i just got an alluminum tube flared the end and wedged it hard into the hole and used two ring clamps , looks like its doing a better job than the origninal .

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
is there a tutorial on how to remove and replace a ve v8 radiator , everything else looks simple except for removing the oil cooler hoses ?

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
What do u mean radiator cap made from 2 different caps. Can you take a pic I'm curious. Or do u mean radiator cap is not even the genuine cap. Is it one of those push done and twist

The outside of the cap is from an astra, the inside of the cap is from something else, can get pics.

My mechanic when he did the roadworthy happened to have an astra cap spare, but the guts he couldn't find suitable parts.

If I were to lose the cap i'd be screwed on the road!.

:Edit: Added Pics

2013-04-20 11.22.09.jpg2013-04-20 11.23.30.jpg2013-04-20 11.24.30.jpg2013-04-20 11.24.54.jpg

1. My cap on
2. My cap off (with guts stuck in radiator)
3. My wifes Astra cap
4. guts of the wifes cap

Last edited: