Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2008 60th Ann Commodore Dead on Corners

Wednesday

Reaction score
Members Ride
60th Ann VE Holden
Hi I am a new to this site and am just seeking a bit of info (I am female & don’t know too much about cars) so I purchased a 2008 60th Anniversary Holden a VE model from new. Not too many problems with it until about 8 months ago, when out of the blue sometimes when I am turning corners, going around roundabouts it seems to cut out... not every time just every so often. It seems to happen as I am decelerating into an intersection then accelerating out of it.

Unfortunately for me it seems to happen in dangerous areas like across lanes turning onto highways, or turning from one highway to another one at traffic lights or at airport intersections with buses taxis vans and trucks - the engine just dies! It does start back up again as soon as I turn it off then turn it back on so that is something to be thankful for ... I guess

I took it back to Holden but they say there is no error codes so cant fix it - then they said next time it happened to drive it straight there - did that still no error codes - they then said have it towed to them (did not do that) but have been back to Holden about six times they have had my car for a two week period then after it happened last time I have given them my car for another three weeks! I seriously don’t want it back til it is fixed as it is breaking down in dangerous places! I have no idea how to get this sorted Holden just keep saying they can’t get it to fault so there is nothing they can do - I now have a car that likes to stop - no help from Holden - and about a $300 bill for them testing out that they can’t fix it! Any one else had this same issue and worked out how to fix it or how to make it happen so I can show Holden? I know there are similar issues reported but they are looking for ways to repair the issue what I need to know is what is happening so I can tell Holden and they can fix or how many people have had this issue (they say Holden has never heard of this issue) or I will just flick the car and buy something else that doesn’t stop dead! Please help if you can... Thanks in advance

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Sound like a fuel pick up problem.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I've had this problem with my omega aswell mate, I'll turn a corner and it would turn the car off but it doesn't happen often (touch wood)

I've been told its a fuel related problem aswell. I filled up a full tank of fuel and put in a bottle of injector cleaner and so far it hasn't happen.

Maybe try that mate to clean a bit out of your fuel system ?

PSI_KING

Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS E
I would be leaning towards an intermittently faulty diode in your ECU. Whilst it is not a common problem it does cause the symptoms you describe and is something to consider if you or Holden have exhausted all avenues of fault finding.

A voltage spike is usually the cause along with inferior manufactured components.

Complete ECU replacement is usually the easiest and cheapest option.

Regards,

PSI KING.

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Not sure if this is related but in my old Nissan I had very similar problem. When I go round corners or round abouts the car would splutter or cut out but only when I had 1/2 tank fuel or less

My problem was the baffles in the tank had broken so when I turned a corner the fuel shifted away from the pick up causing it to splutter or die. Not sure how the commodores tanks are made though.

Wednesday

Reaction score
Members Ride
60th Ann VE Holden
Does it matter how much fuel is in the tank? It's pretty tough for there to be a fuel pickup problem on these cars.

Andy

Hi there - no it doesnt make any difference how full the tank is ... full half or quarter! Also I buy petrol from several different stations (which ever is closest when Im low) so I would not think its a bad fuel issue... maybe I can ask holden about those other suggestions but I just feel like I am driving a roulette wheel! sometimes I get there sometimes I dont! It has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as Holden are just shrugging their sholders even though I bought an extended warranty!

Wednesday

Reaction score
Members Ride
60th Ann VE Holden
Thanks for the replies above - but I have tried the engine flush and kept the petrol tank full. This whole cutting out thing is still going on! I have been back at Holden about 4 times since this last post ... left the car with them for weeks on end ... explained what actually happens but still they cant get the horrid car to do what its doing with us. The car has now even started doing it when we just are driving straight - like deceleration towards lights - put your foot down and nothing happens ... except for people giving hand signals to show they are not happy even when I have the hazard lights on! Holden started to ask me how close to the steering wheel I sit as I maybe knock the key with my knee (the key is way higher than where anyone's knees are), how many key ornaments I had on my key ring as maybe I had too many, or maybe I had two keys to the car on my key ring and they were setting each other and turning off the car! I am at my wits end with this now - seriously thinking i need to sell the car! But before I do can anyone advise who or how I can as suggested above "check for a intermittently faulty diode in your ECU"

Thanks

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you or a family member are members of an Auto Club 9RACQ, RACV, RAA, NRMA) etc, then I suggest you check with them as most (probably all) offer a fault finding (diagnostic) service to members. Not sure of any cost(s), imagine if any they would be minimal to moderate.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Try a different dealership - it sounds a little like they're not really trying particularly hard to find the fault. It's no secret that some try harder than others. That's certainly my experience with warranty work. Another option would be to try and have it diagnosed by someone independent - you'll need to pay for it, but there's often a better chance of the work being done.