Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2008 VE Omega LEO Engine 175kw Dual Fuel Petrol Fuel Guage Not Working

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone may know what the problem is with my car. A few months ago an error appeared on my dash it said contact dealer and I noticed my Petrol fuel guage is no longer working.
As my car was due for a pink slip in August I waited until now and told the mechanic about the problem.
He said the problem would be the sender unit attached to the fuel pump, I left the car with him to fix the guage and do a service and the pink slip.

I collected the car and was then advised they can no longer do inspections on gas cars as their gas man has left but they did the service and n I now owe them $280, I paid and left.

I found another mechanic who does gas cars and I told him about the problem and I booked in to have the pump changed, and also replace the spark plugs as the car just hit 240,000km's, and do the pink slip while he has the car.

I just picked up the car and its running well with its new fuel pump and new spark plugs but the fuel guage is not working still after paying out close to $900 today to have it all done.

Apparentl,y when they use their fancy Snap-On Tools computer the thing is saying the instrument cluster does not beong to this car, which is wrong!

I have owned the car since 2015 and the instrument cluster has not been changed and before I bought it, it was a company car that was very well serviced and it had 195,000 km on the dash. So it is not as if someone changed the dash so they could sell the car saying it has low km's. I have owned it all these years and never had any error codes before except for when stating it's due for a normal service.

One of the guys says he know a guy who can hack the cars computer and can get into it much deeper thna the mechanics canbut he costs about $300 to get to come over and have a look.

When they force it to reset suddenly the guage works again but then stops a few minutes later saying the fuel tank sender signal is High, and also reports the cluster has been changed when it hasn't.

Also if you guys paid for this to be repaired and two differently mechanical repairers were saying its the fuel pump sender then you paid one of them to change it and you got the car back with the same issue would you expect to have to pay for the full repair?
I spoke briefly with Fair Trading, I could have a case but am not sure if I should complain or not as I don't believe they are trying to rob me, I believe they were just wrong with their diagnosis.
I don't feel it is fair that I should have to pay the full price when in fact they have fixed nothing, your opinions on this would be appreciated.

The two mechanics are now suspicious the main computer has a problem such as a crack in the board which is causing this intermittant problem, if you guys can help with any advice it would be much appreicated.
THe first mechananic doens something similar to me 2 years ago as well, there is a rattle in my duel fuel car each morning on the first start, he suggested it was my timing chain or belt I cant recall which this has, I said ok lets fix it and I paid him $1900 when I got the car back the same issue was still there. I researched the issue online and found out there is a small o-righ or something that is supposed to hold the oil pressure in the top part of the motor and more than likely that is the culprit and is the reason why the car is rattling on the first start as the top of the engine is not holinding the oil until morning, Fair trading says i may also have a case with this matter, once agian I'm unsure what to do and any advice would be appreciated, all I know is that I'm a disabled pensioner and I dont have a lot of saving and I cant afford tradesmen to be wrong and I need my car to be working properly.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
We had a dual fuel VE and our fuel pump went at 230k from memory. I'd change the pump and sender see if that fixes the issue

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
We had a dual fuel VE and our fuel pump went at 230k from memory. I'd change the pump and sender see if that fixes the issue
I paid out $535.00 today having a new fuel pump installed, and I still have the same problem. I'm angry and am not sure if I should cop this or lodge a complaint with Fair Trading,
What is normal when a mechanic gets it wrong and leads someone into an expensive repair that fixs nothing/?
Are we expected to pay if a mechanic makes a wrong diagnosis costing us a lot of money?
They are good people, but I don't think I should have to pay this as they were wrong, what do you think?
I really want others opinions, especially if they have been through a situation similar to mine.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sorry, but that is a ripoff,
And the tank unit is not fixed, thieves !,
What the fire truck did they do for $900 ???

It’s been mentioned before,
Some early VE’s have port holes under the back seat to access the tank units,
And you can possibly do it yourself !
Word of advice DONT get a OEM equivalent installed, especially from a eBay seller in Coburg, he is an thief, and BS artist !!!
Try and source a OEM, possibly cost a little more, but possibly won’t cause any further issues.

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
Sorry, but that is a ripoff,
And the tank unit is not fixed, thieves !,
What the fire truck did they do for $900 ???

It’s been mentioned before,
Some early VE’s have port holes under the back seat to access the tank units,
And you can possibly do it yourself !
Word of advice DONT get a OEM equivalent installed, especially from a eBay seller in Coburg, he is an thief, and BS artist !!!
Try and source a OEM, possibly cost a little more, but possibly won’t cause any further issues.
yeh new fuel pump was fitted today and I still have the same problem, so the problem wasnt the fuel pump at all, it was a bit over $800 $535 to change the fuel pump other moeny was for new spark plugs and pink slip although I didnt feel anything wrong with the car they siad it was missing I couldnt hear it but I let them change them as they are apparently supposed to be done every 120,000km and they were due to be done. I'm just upset about the fuel pump, two mechanics from two places looked at it and both said it would be the fuel pump so I paid for the repair and still dont have a working fuel guage. THey are no suspicious of the cars main computer.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I paid out $535.00 today having a new fuel pump installed, and I still have the same problem. I'm angry and am not sure if I should cop this or lodge a complaint with Fair Trading,
What is normal when a mechanic gets it wrong and leads someone into an expensive repair that fixs nothing/?
Are we expected to pay if a mechanic makes a wrong diagnosis costing us a lot of money?
They are good people, but I don't think I should have to pay this as they were wrong, what do you think?
I really want others opinions, especially if they have been through a situation similar to mine.
Yep,

Gather all you quotes, receipts, photos and make copies, and present them to the repairer, and ask what are they going to do about fixing the original issue the car came in for,
And if they decline to work it with you,
Tell them you will be going to fair trading.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

How did the diagnose the fault ?

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
YEh I have a written quote to change the fuel pump from the mechanics who did the job, I found them online through a website who gets quotes for you from mechanics, so I have a screen shot of it, I did speak to fair trading today but I couldn't get a clear answer from them if this is normal, they suggested I lodge a complaint then they will mediate between us all. I just feel its not their fault but they should know how to diagnose the pproblem properly and not cost me huge amounts of money with guesses.

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
How did the diagnose the fault ?
I have the ly7 leo 175kw I think and they used the snap-on toold diagnostic device cost them $12,000 apparently to be given wrong information. The device says the fuel sender is giving a high reading also its saying that the instument cluster is not for my car, I have had this car since it was 6-7 yo before me it was a company car and well serviced but it had 195,000 km on it but it was in perfect condition and I have never had any faults on my dash until this petrol sender problem. SO now they are thinking I have changed the dash when it hasnt been changed, also there is no advantage to putting a dash in a 7 year old car (when I bought it) stating its driven 195,000km so it was never changed, if it said its only done 10,000km I would be suspicious as well. But thats the story. Apparently they know some guy who can hack the computers and get into parts of it where he shouldnt be fiddling and often he can fix these things, oh hats another thing when they reset everything the guge then works, all messages go away but then it will stop working a minute or two later

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
THey were using a Snap-On Tools computer like most of the mechanics have and checking the error codes they siad hte fual sender was sending a high reading but the computer was also saying thqt my instument cluster is not the right one for my car which it is, its never been changed, their machine is wrong and hat error is part of the problem obviously