Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2008 VE Omega LEO Engine 175kw Dual Fuel Petrol Fuel Guage Not Working

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
THey were using a Snap-On Tools computer like most of the mechanics have and checking the error codes they siad hte fual sender was sending a high reading but the computer was also saying thqt my instument cluster is not the right one for my car which it is, its never been changed, their machine is wrong and hat error is part of the problem obviously
excuse my typing errors I have a puppy on my lap wanting attention haha

Reactions: Lex

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
Sorry, but that is a ripoff,
And the tank unit is not fixed, thieves !,
What the fire truck did they do for $900 ???

It’s been mentioned before,
Some early VE’s have port holes under the back seat to access the tank units,
And you can possibly do it yourself !
Word of advice DONT get a OEM equivalent installed, especially from a eBay seller in Coburg, he is an thief, and BS artist !!!
Try and source a OEM, possibly cost a little more, but possibly won’t cause any further issues.
I was screwed over mate but expertly, I could win with fair trading but im going to let it go, its a lot of money but they did the job and I do have a new fuel pump, also today I opened the bonnet and went to the fuse box/relays and gave each of them a gentle wiggle and a gentle push in and when I looked my fuel guage was working again, I went inside to say im going back to the mechanic and hwen I got back to the car it was broken again. I th4n fiddled under the bonnet again at the relays and also another relay thats dangling in the breeze ont he opposite side of the car thats rated at 40 amps I think it has something to do with the lights but I wiggled that as well and suddenly it was working agian, this time I took the thing for a big drive ont he freeway doing speeds of 100kmph both on petrol and on LPG and it didnt miss a beat and the fuel gage kept working until I turned off the car once home haha. I remembered tonight I had an error years ago and a friend told me about a device I can buy on Ebay calle d a OBD2 or something and I found it in my garage, reinstalled the software for it and I was able to clear their error codes and the guage is now working again, I stopped and started the car several times and it is still working, hopefully it will work tomorrow :)
I rang Holden themselves today both in Newcastle and in Sydney and found they are not relly even willing to help they want to charge me nearly $400 to put their fancy scanners on the car but they will not guarantee they can tell me what is wrong with the car and they will charge me regardless I found out!! just like the fuel pump guy did!! this seems to be standard procedure with mechanics. I siad to my mechanic today, If I came to your place to fix your washing machine and told you that you needed a new expensive motor and you authorized that repair and hten it didnt work afterward, would you pay me? he didnt answer and I said no you wouldnt and if I had your washing machine at my workshop you would be screaming to fair trading/[police or anyone who will listen!! he didnt say a word! He knew I was right and this is wrong,. I want to thank you for writing wth your advice, I dont think their is a sevice port in my car I have been told there isnt a hole under the back seat but they wouldnt know if their ass is on fire from what I can tell.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You say your in Australia,
But we’re ?
Suburb ?,
As a JC member may be available to assist.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If you wanted to give it a crack yourself,
I did a thread of replacing the take unit, that includes a sender unit.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the VE has two fuel sender units, one is with the module on drivers side the other is just a sender on passenger side, if only the main one was replaced then the other could still be at fault

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
the VE has two fuel sender units, one is with the module on drivers side the other is just a sender on passenger side, if only the main one was replaced then the other could still be at fault
I thought the sender unit is with the fuel pump in the tank, do you mean fuel pump relays? I believe one is behind the kick panel and from what I read somewhere there could be one in the boot?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I thought the sender unit is with the fuel pump in the tank, do you mean fuel pump relays? I believe one is behind the kick panel and from what I read somewhere there could be one in the boot?
there is a hump in the middle of the tank in the VE so it needs two fuel sender units for it to read accurately, both have to work as there values are added together and then halved to get the average reading in the tank, if one side is not working right it will affect the reading on the gauge

IMG-0889.jpg

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone may know what the problem is with my car. A few months ago an error appeared on my dash it said contact dealer and I noticed my Petrol fuel guage is no longer working.
As my car was due for a pink slip in August I waited until now and told the mechanic about the problem.
He said the problem would be the sender unit attached to the fuel pump, I left the car with him to fix the guage and do a service and the pink slip.

I collected the car and was then advised they can no longer do inspections on gas cars as their gas man has left but they did the service and n I now owe them $280, I paid and left.

I found another mechanic who does gas cars and I told him about the problem and I booked in to have the pump changed, and also replace the spark plugs as the car just hit 240,000km's, and do the pink slip while he has the car.

I just picked up the car and its running well with its new fuel pump and new spark plugs but the fuel guage is not working still after paying out close to $900 today to have it all done.

Apparentl,y when they use their fancy Snap-On Tools computer the thing is saying the instrument cluster does not beong to this car, which is wrong!

I have owned the car since 2015 and the instrument cluster has not been changed and before I bought it, it was a company car that was very well serviced and it had 195,000 km on the dash. So it is not as if someone changed the dash so they could sell the car saying it has low km's. I have owned it all these years and never had any error codes before except for when stating it's due for a normal service.

One of the guys says he know a guy who can hack the cars computer and can get into it much deeper thna the mechanics canbut he costs about $300 to get to come over and have a look.

When they force it to reset suddenly the guage works again but then stops a few minutes later saying the fuel tank sender signal is High, and also reports the cluster has been changed when it hasn't.

Also if you guys paid for this to be repaired and two differently mechanical repairers were saying its the fuel pump sender then you paid one of them to change it and you got the car back with the same issue would you expect to have to pay for the full repair?
I spoke briefly with Fair Trading, I could have a case but am not sure if I should complain or not as I don't believe they are trying to rob me, I believe they were just wrong with their diagnosis.
I don't feel it is fair that I should have to pay the full price when in fact they have fixed nothing, your opinions on this would be appreciated.

The two mechanics are now suspicious the main computer has a problem such as a crack in the board which is causing this intermittant problem, if you guys can help with any advice it would be much appreicated.
THe first mechananic doens something similar to me 2 years ago as well, there is a rattle in my duel fuel car each morning on the first start, he suggested it was my timing chain or belt I cant recall which this has, I said ok lets fix it and I paid him $1900 when I got the car back the same issue was still there. I researched the issue online and found out there is a small o-righ or something that is supposed to hold the oil pressure in the top part of the motor and more than likely that is the culprit and is the reason why the car is rattling on the first start as the top of the engine is not holinding the oil until morning, Fair trading says i may also have a case with this matter, once agian I'm unsure what to do and any advice would be appreciated, all I know is that I'm a disabled pensioner and I dont have a lot of saving and I cant afford tradesmen to be wrong and I need my car to be working properly.
Do you always run the car on minimum petrol because it’s LPG? If so that’s what your problem is. If the tank is never filled up the resistance windings on the sender get corrosion on them and go open circuit.

I’ve had this happen on my old VE SV6 before when I used to just “splash and dash” constantly. When I needed to go on a long trip and filed the tank the gauge didn’t work and the dash said contact dealer.

I put two and two together and after filling the tank up a few more times the gauge went back to working properly and now I make sure to regularly fill my car with petrol and run it on petrol at least one day a week to keep the petrol turning over.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
He said the problem would be the sender unit attached to the fuel pump, I left the car with him to fix the guage and do a service and the pink slip.

I collected the car and was then advised they can no longer do inspections on gas cars as their gas man has left but they did the service and n I now owe them $280, I paid and left.
They didn’t change your sender for that price. Unless you’ve got a very early VE changing senders or pumps require removal of the tank and there’s no way that amount of labour was done for $280.

Reactions: Lex