Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 VE SV6 spark plug change

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
Read all the posts on here, I think, but couldn't find one relevant enough. What's the step by step procedure for changing the spark plugs on the above vehicle which is apparently a LY7(H7) motor. Watched some YouTube videos also but the manifold seems different. Is it possible to re- use the gasket also and are there any special tools needed?

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Hey man,

No special tools are required.

But with the HY7 engine, the intake manifold has to come off, because the spark plugs and coils are under it.

The SIDI LLT engine, the manifold is narrower so no need to take it off, to change coils or plugs - maybe that’s the YouTube videos you’ve seen. You can reuse the gaskets if you don’t snap them when removing them. They usually stay stuck to the engine when the manifold is pried off, and they’ve got locating lugs also so there’s no mix up.

As for step by step, I couldn’t say exact about the alloytec (mines the SIDI LLT), but I do know to get the manifold off it’s an absolute c**t of a job, the windscreen shroud has to come off to get to the bolts behind the manifold. Throttle body off, unplug this this and this. Pretty much anything that’s bolted or connected to the manifold has to come off.

But once that’s all done, it only takes 10 mins to change all the plugs, then you have to put it back together again....sigh.

I’d say if your not exactly mechanically minded, to get a mate who is to do it, or take it to a garage. Although changing plugs is easy....there’s a lot of parts, connectors, bolts etc that have to come off and on to get there.

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
My son is doing it but because I can't find a diagram etc of how to remove the manifold, he doesn't want to reef anything off or whatever.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Give these ago

Not exactly the way I’d do it, but mines a different engine.

- this one actually shows how to take off the windscreen shroud ( it’s a gas engine but same engine

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
Thanks, have seen all of these and my motor is different

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Then if it’s a 2009, it must be a late 2009 and would be the new SIDI engine.

In which case you don’t have to take anything off.

The coil packs are all visible and easily removed. Just unclip the electrical socket on each, and unbolt it.

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
It's not a SIDI engine but I can't get the cover off to take a pic

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Ok do that

chenka44

Reaction score