Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 SV6 Manual cabin drone - how to fix?

warnzie85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
Hi everyone, tried the search button but didn't find exactly what i was looking for so hopefully the thread i was looking for wasn't hiding. Long story short my brand new SV6 got a hit up the bum a few days ago and the driver had no insurance ect ect. Lucky it wasnt a hard hit and the rear bumpers are very flexible so no noticed damage was sustained:( Hate having a new car its just plain luck waiting to go bad!

Anyway the rear muff was a little off as his bumper had nudged it...so instead of paying for a new genuine one i thought it was cheaper to get the rear muffs replaced instead of my excess. The muff shop advised me the best way to go was straight through pipe with twin tips - im no expert so yeah great i said cheaper than my insurance excess - oh my giddy aunt!!!!! the drone is absolutely unbearable. So my question is, without having to pay to much more (remember trying to keep cheaper than excess) how do i fix it? Anyone done same thing and found fix? Is it just a matter of fitting hot dogs i think he said in between the exhaust tip and tail pipe first join (think that means the join where original mufflers go) or something else / simpler. Sorry for my ignorance have absolutely no idea of these things and hope i havnt been taken for a ride! My brand new car is scratch and sounds terrible...not happy!!

Nathan

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
Check out eBay / heaps of genuine gear from
People who have upgraded their exhausts etc and put original mufflers etc back on

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
As said, you'll be able to pick up a pair of genuine mufflers for next to nothing. Alternatively, nearly anything will be better than straight pipe - if you want a little more noise than factory, pick a decent muffler and bolt that up - There are a number of options - though most don't sound very good at all - though, again, better than straight pipe. Youtube is your friend.

warnzie85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
Unfortunately i dont want to spend more $$$ on my pipes to find out they still drone...do i take the chance??? i think i might just put the original muffs back on (bent and all) and if somebody wants a cheap set of brand new tail pipes and has time to experient with hot dogs on them they can have them.

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Your best option as said above if you want to save, just go on ebay purely for some SV6 mufflers, some are there for under a hundred and if u want to get the SS/SSV ones for the twin tip look and a hint of sound then grab those, and not to much in $$

Sucks on a new car, good luck mate

warnzie85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
Just doing some research and came across the "J Pipe" design which according to all sources and real uses reduces drone to practically 0? Anyone know a good exhaust shop on the gold coast who knows how to do this correctly? As its only pipe with a few bends it shouldnt be expensive!