Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 VE timing chain issue

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Im just wondering if anyone has had a timing chain issue with a series 2 2011, ive read that it was a big issue with the series 1 but ive been told that mine has gone im shattered

There must be thousands of early series 2 cars running around with about 100000 kms on them now and I believe this is the first one we have seen on the JC forum.

The first thing I would be doing is taking the car to a Holden dealership without delay and asking them to check out the timing chain. If it truly is faulty and needs to be replaced, and given the car's age and KMs covered, it is quite possible/likely that Holden will pay for all or most of the repair if you ask them to. If the dealership agrees the TC is faulty and needs replacing they should raise the issue with Holden Head Office with a view to Holden coming to the party and fixing it for you. Holden has done this with some people who had affected series 1 cars just out of warranty so I would expect they might come to the party in your case, at least for most of the repair cost, provided they are satisfied that servicing on the car's engine has not been neglected (and you approach them the right way).

Under Federal Consumer Rights and Guarantees legislation you have certain rights with respect to the reliability and faults of company products, subject to various exclusions. Read this carefully and look at it's applicability in your particular circumstances, particularly bearing in mind the exclusions that can apply to your vehicle.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
There must be thousands of early series 2 cars running around with about 100000 kms on them now and I believe this is the first one we have seen on the JC forum.

The first thing I would be doing is taking the car to a Holden dealership without delay and asking them to check out the timing chain. If it truly is faulty and needs to be replaced, and given the car's age and KMs covered, it is quite possible/likely that Holden will pay for all or most of the repair if you ask them to. If the dealership agrees the TC is faulty and needs replacing they should raise the issue with Holden Head Office with a view to Holden coming to the party and fixing it for you. Holden has done this with some people who had affected series 1 cars just out of warranty so I would expect they might come to the party in your case, at least for most of the repair cost, provided they are satisfied that servicing on the car's engine has not been neglected (and you approach them the right way).

Under Federal Consumer Rights and Guarantees legislation you have certain rights with respect to the reliability and faults of company products, subject to various exclusions. Read this carefully and look at it's applicability in your particular circumstances, particularly bearing in mind the exclusions that can apply to your vehicle.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees.

The OP said that the car has been serviced by the same mechanic, he didn't say dealer. I would say this is a case where if the car has been properly dealer serviced that you might have a chance with goodwill and perhaps pay for labour but no charge for the parts etc. But if the car is not dealer serviced how would you know if correct grade of oil has been used. It is particularly important to have good quality correct grade of oil with 12 month 15,000 Km servicing on the Alloytecs. I think you will be unlikely to get any good will if not dealer serviced. This is one thing that may not considered when making the decision not to dealer service your car.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Its done 116000, i only got it four months ago as a family car, it has a full service history at the same mechanic, it sucks

With all due respect. Your answer has not really answered my question.

Full service history how often, and using what oil?

Reason I come back to you is that it seems, often or at least as the books tell you, and the CORRECT oil as in your books is imperative. Do you agree?