Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 Equipe - 3.0 SIDI Losing/Using Coolant

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Hi all. As always when I fix one issue another appears...

When replacing my brake fluid reservoir the other day I checked my coolant level with the coolant dipstick and noticed that the dipstick was dry. I topped up the coolant with about a liter of Red Dexcool and said that I would keep an eye on it.

Since then I've driven about 15kms. I checked again this morning before work and noticed that the dipstick was dry again. I topped up again with about 500ml of Dexcool so that it would register on the stick (about half way).

This is quite a loss in two days over 12kms of driving and seems like more than a small leak. I have never had a car with a coolant dipstick before and have always just kept an eye on the expansion tank to check levels. I'd imagine the dipstick is the best way to check the level?!

• I have no white gunge on the oil cap or dipstick so don't think that coolant is mixing with the oil
  • I have also not noticed excessive smoke and there are also no noticeable coolant drips on the ground
  • The car has also not overheated and the gauge has always sat at about 40%
  • The engine bay looks bone dry

Has anyone had this before on their 3.0 SIDI and if so where are the common leak points on this engine? All help as always is greatly appreciated.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Make sure you also remove the pressure cap when the engine is cool to check the coolant level in the engine.
Could be leaking down the back of the engine through the thermostat housing or the seals above the water pump.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yes I replaced the Input pipe that the one where the radiator cap go on. It was leaking from as the "O" was gone. at the same time I replaced the coil packs + Spark plugs as you need to remove the alloy manifold above.
Funny thing is it took about 3 to 4 time of filling the cap up (about 600Mil each time )in the morning before it had enough.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There's a procedure to bleed air out after you have opened up the cooling system.
Once the air is blead out there's more room for coolant. It might still pay to slip the little hose off the grille side of radiator when the system is warm enough to have pressure in the hoses ( but not boiling hot OUCH) and check if there's still air in it. If you get a steady spray of coolant your all good.

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Just had a good look over the engine and looks like I have a coolant leak at the back left hand side of the engine. I can't see where it's coming from, but can see where it's running along. It looks like more of a weep than a leak. I have put an arrow beside this in the picture. I know that the thermostat is at the back of the engine so that's a possible contender but I haven't had time to jack the car up and look from underneath.
20200105_150829.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That is the thermostat housing leaking. Had the identical thing going on.
This is not a fun job. The thermostat is at the back of the motor.
Holden repair procedure says to remove gearbox, this is what my mechanic did as well.

You can't get down the back of it and be able to see.
Last year, when I did some major repairs, I had the entire wiper cover off. Remove the upper intake manifold and this makes a lot of room compared to what there was. You would still have a c of a time getting in there to do it, but it's doable.

You would loose a bit of bark off your hand for sure in the process.

I just posted a how to for cooling system repairs (some) and show how to bleed it after.

I would also suggest replacing coolant sensor, heater hoses, inlet housing seals and radiator cap at the same time. Why? Because once you are dong the thermostat, you may as well take the extra couple of hours to do other parts you'd expect to fail soon as well.

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Yes, I was thinking that might be the issue. I haven't had time to investigate further but have had to top up the coolant this week already so need to get it sorted.

I don't think I'll have time/patience to do this job so will get the mechanic to do it.

How much roughly did this cost you as it'd be great to know a ballpark figure?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
About $400 for labour to remove the gear box. $100 for the part. You'd be charge about $550 for the job.
$550 for a fricken thermostat

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Thanks for that. Yes, for a thermostat that's expensive but not the end of the world. Will confirm that that's the issue this weekend and drop it into the mechanic next week.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Thanks for that. Yes, for a thermostat that's expensive but not the end of the world. Will confirm that that's the issue this weekend and drop it into the mechanic next week.
Been told by Holden and this is off record that when ever Holden stopped producing cars in Australia Spare Part for Holden will just dramatically jump up in prices. This is Mainly Genuine Holden parts that after markets cant or not willing to reproduce to keep Holden honest. This is Absolutely Disgraceful.

Last edited: