Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2013 SV6 going through coolant

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
White exhaust smoke will depend on the size of the leak. Temperature will only spike if coolant is low

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Looks can be deceiving unfortunately as there are scumbags who fake service history among other things... Did you get a pre purchase inspection before buying this car
Looks can be deceiving unfortunately as there are scumbags who fake service history among other things... Did you get a pre purchase inspection before buying this car?
NO, but its definitely not had a fake history though.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
White exhaust smoke will depend on the size of the leak. Temperature will only spike if coolant is low
Cooant zero in the reservoir tank and no change of temp gauge?

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Can I just blead the air out by running it with cap off and slowly topping it up there? Thats what the mechanic did with my VZ that I had? I think its the radiator cap, its a common problem, they probably replaced the radiator for nothing, I bet thats it....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Plenty of threads about coolant loss with no visible signs of said coolant loss. Search the forum and read a few of those threads may be enlightening.

In many a case a new OEM factory radiator cap can resolve loss of coolant issues and it’s a cheap enough fix to just try….

In many cases you should notice a buggered old radiator cap when you unscrew it from a cold radiator as the o-ring will look rather squashed though the integrated vacuum and pressure valve are harder to notice when faulty and the cap should really be tested… just easier to replace… .

Note, never ever unscrew a VE/VF radiator cap on a hot engine as the radiator cap design doesn’t provide a mechanical detent (like old copper/bras radiators and caps had) and thus the VE/VF cap can blow off scalding anyone standing around the engine…

Some basic coolant system testing is worth while. Stuff like hot coolant pressure test, combustion gas leak test and a visual inspection for cracks and leaks of the hose between radiator and overflow reservior as well as cracked overflow reservoir.

Then it’s always worth reading the following how to thread which outlines a coolant change process as it goes through some issues.

Also i’ll repost a link i made to a video of how the professionals do coolant changes (the bees knees as @Fu Manchu called it).

The tool isn't too expensive if you already have a good compressor and definately makes it easier to avoid air locks and subsequent overheating
But it's probably more logical a buy if you service a few family cars

I'm guess with more googling, you'd find some cheaper alternative but the following is the same as what's used in the above video

PS: Ha, SCA sells a similar product

and cheaper still at

But first check radiator cap, the hose between radiator and overflow bottle and the bottle itself for splits or leaks and in most cases you’ve found the problem… then ensure no air is trapped in the engine as empty overflow bottle allow air to be sucked back into the sealed cooling system.

A read of the VF workshop manual pdf (search the forum and you shall find) cooling system section will define how the system itself works (I’ve posted such before but haven’t found that thread and post)…

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Don't know about the V6s, but the V8 radiators are known to leak. When mine leaked, there was nothing on the ground, but take the front splash guard off and could see coolant on the bottom tank and could smell it when hot.
EDIT - Sorry just read that you had recently replaced the radiator.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Here is a vf workshop manual link.
Compliments of @chris2872

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
weird the dex cool I have says its premixed

On the original post if you are going through the red stuff look in the engine bay around the radiator for red staining as the top and bottom tanks can leak so use a torch and look high and low.
Dont use the old i dont see it on the floor where the car parks detection method because it may only leak while under operating pressure.

If you see no stains then it might be going into a cylinder and being vaporised.

A pressure test should show if there is a leak somewhere.

Last edited: