Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2013 VE Audio Install - Suggestions Needed.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'm not going to argue with you, my response was based on experience, your was based on something you don't recall.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Consider for a minute why I might not recall...

SimoHDK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE Commodore SV6 Z-Series - Manual
Building an enclosure isn't expensive, neither is using a dedicated mono amp for the sub, and a multi channel for the fronts, and can be done for the cost of the pdx.

Have you built enclosures for the type R and compared the difference using different power amps? Because i have, put one through wini sd if you can find the tuning fq of the factory Alpine enclosure and see what results you come up with...

Whats the point of having a separate mono amp for the sub, when I have the perfect 5 channel amp to match my needs?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Whats the point of having a separate mono amp for the sub, when I have the perfect 5 channel amp to match my needs?

Because the type r is a lazy sack of crap being driven from 500 watts in a small enclosure. It might sound good to your ears if you haven't owned many other subs, or heard any that are built, setup, and tuned correctly. You can buy any driver you like, it all comes down to the enclosure. I'm only telling you based on personal experience what makes the sub perform it's best.

There are vented options too which work well, but seeing as your against my suggestions, i don't think enclosure tuning is something you would consider, which is why i reccomended the best sealed enclosure option to you. Having the extra power means the sub can perform to it's full potential. It's rated to 500 watts, which is the amps power output, but with no headroom. With headroom comes cleaner signal, cooler running temps, and overall efficiency. The larger enclosure also adds efficiency, and allows the sub to play lower frequencies. The size of the enclosure will limit how low the driver can play.

If Alpine is something you want to stick with, then for not much more than the price of the PDX 5 ch, you can buy a seperate 4 ch amp, and a mono from the MRX range, which are still considered very good sounding amps for the money, and considering the level of components your planning on purchasing, would suite them just fine. End of the day it's your call mate, your money and your car, i'm only offering my thoughts.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Because the type r is a lazy sack of crap being driven from 500 watts in a small enclosure.

You just summed up your experience in that statement right there. Finally finishing it off with suggesting that someone who you are assuming has not had much experience with car audio should then double the power.... and increase enclosure size by which you "increase efficiency"

If someone is obviously attempting a nice simple and clean install with sound quality in mind instead of thunderous bass there are several things you don't do.

1, You don't suggest increasing enclosure size
2, You don't suggest using ported enclosures
3, You don't suggest overpowing a driver by a factor of 2 ESPECIALLY if you want them to put it in a bigger ported enclosure.
4, You don't suggest moving down in quality of amplifiers when you are wanting a clean and simple install that sounds good.

If he wants to go with Alpine, then go for it. Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 20ft barge pole because I don't like it's sound. Is there anything wrong with it? Nope, quality made mainstream product that tend lead the industry in new ideas (not always) but I personally don't like them. But I would never let that get in the way of my advice to any of my customers.

Please don't start a pissing contest about experience.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
A larger enclosure has nothing to do with "thunderous bass" .Some drivers work well in small enclosures, the type r just isn't one of them. The increase in power has nothing to do with it's output level, sure it may yield an increase in overall spl if you want it to and if that is your goal, but it's about how the driver behaves, and it is far more controlled with the extra power behind it.

A sealed enclosure will require more power before reaching xmax, the driver will not reach xmax in it's current enclosure, with 500 watts, therefore it is not performing at it's best, and for a novice you also risk clipping the amp. Again at it's best doesn't mean as loud as it's capable of playing. If you wish to put a driver in an enclosure that is not suited to for most of the part, then that's completely up to you. You could compare it to the rest of the instal, you can spend as much as you like, but a poor quality instal or badly chosen component then what's the point?

The MRX range isn't moving down in quality compared to what he is spending on the drivers. The drivers themselves will always have the biggest overall difference in the end result. A set of $800 speakers with a $200 amp will sound better than a set of $500 speakers with a $500 amp, or any other combination you want to throw together. That is why the MRX range are more than up to the task of powering the type x. Plenty of people also do well with the mrx range in sq events, yes the pdx range do well also, but what does it say about the lesser spec model for those who chose to use it and did well?

Peace out :smoking:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
Well the amp has been purchased, suits my needs for such a good price. Already got plenty of 4ga around from my previous car, so I'll be using that.

Sure as hell won't be using the stock wiring lol, now need to hunt down the speakers at some good prices and get it underway (When I have some spare time!)

I'll go have a listen to these when I pickup my amp. Have you had experience fitting the SPX-17PRO's in a VE? Just wondering how well the tweeters are going to fit and if they woofer will need spacer rings etc.

Judging by this thread, the woofers should be fine as he uses the same ones with the alpine ring. Just the tweeters really...

when installing these products in the past for customers we made a simple MDF cut out for front to fit 6.5( take out original and trace around)
your tweeters will be not as above alpine type r only have flush mount with a large screw mount. you will need back strap or simalar (make a z shape to screw to factory mount and under tweeter (hole in back)
good luck and ask if u need more help(only check this forum at night sorry)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
A larger enclosure has nothing to do with "thunderous bass" .Some drivers work well in small enclosures, the type r just isn't one of them. The increase in power has nothing to do with it's output level, sure it may yield an increase in overall spl if you want it to and if that is your goal, but it's about how the driver behaves, and it is far more controlled with the extra power behind it.

A sealed enclosure will require more power before reaching xmax, the driver will not reach xmax in it's current enclosure, with 500 watts, therefore it is not performing at it's best, and for a novice you also risk clipping the amp. Again at it's best doesn't mean as loud as it's capable of playing. If you wish to put a driver in an enclosure that is not suited to for most of the part, then that's completely up to you. You could compare it to the rest of the instal, you can spend as much as you like, but a poor quality instal or badly chosen component then what's the point?

The MRX range isn't moving down in quality compared to what he is spending on the drivers. The drivers themselves will always have the biggest overall difference in the end result. A set of $800 speakers with a $200 amp will sound better than a set of $500 speakers with a $500 amp, or any other combination you want to throw together. That is why the MRX range are more than up to the task of powering the type x. Plenty of people also do well with the mrx range in sq events, yes the pdx range do well also, but what does it say about the lesser spec model for those who chose to use it and did well?

Peace out :smoking:

The Type R doesn't work well in a small enclosure? Says who? Because Simo is saying it works fantastic for him. Who cares what you think about the way it works, who cares about the way I think it works. What matters is Simos opinion. He has to listen it.

It won't hit it Xmax? Are you sure? Are you 100% positive? I'm not saying it would or wouldn't but have you tested the T/S parameters of this sub whilst enclosed in this box? Furthermore... How long has Alpine been selling Type R for now? I think it's been a good 10years from memory. I know I can recall probably a dozen different prefab boxes in that time. So which one does Simo have?

The MRX and the PDX amplifiers are worlds apart from each other. Having repaired amps from both stables, the PDX was better designed, better built with higher quality components and a smarter power distribution then the MRX. Fact, the MRX is not actually an AUDIO amplifier. It's a POWER amplifier. Which is perfect for making big bang with little money.

You have peaced that together from things that you believe and calling them fact. Problem is, what sounds better is purely personal taste. Out of all your experience no matter how much or how little there is.... thats the first thing you should've learned.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
it will fit with the use of back strap.