Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2013 VF Redline vs 2013 BMW 335i Coupe

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
My mate just bought a BMW 335i coupe and took me for a spin in it yesterday. It's a very nice car. Very expensive too at about $100k.
One thing I do like about the BMW is DSG gearbox which has the flappy paddles on the steering wheel. It was a really smooth quick change and if the Holden had a box similar I would almost consider going to the auto.

Anyway, so as I was driving in it he was showing me all the high-tec gadgets the BMW has. He loves his gadgets. Every time he showed me something I'd say, yeah mine does that.

He says 'BMW does 0-100 in 5.2secs' and I say 'Mine does it in 4.7secs'
He says '225kw', I say '270kw'

Then we go for a drive in mine and I say...
'Does your's have lane departure warning?' he says 'no'
'Does your's have heads up display?' he says 'what's that?'
'Does your's park itself?' he says 'no'
'Does your's have reverse traffic alert?' he says 'what's that?'
'Does yours have forward collision alert' he says 'what's that?'

So really the only thing gadgety that the BMW I could see that was better was the door handles, where instead of pressing a button you just grabbed the handle and it opened. I've got to say I do miss having it, as my last car had it and the Holden is really slow to react to the button.

However, it looks like you don't get much for $100k these days. But you do get quite a lot if you spend $50k instead.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Nice comments. If only the rest of Australia felt the same way, then Holden would be around a lot longer and still making cars into the distant future. Good to see the Holden stacked up against German Engineering.

_Jay_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VF Clubsport R8
He bought the coupe? Wow if only he waited two or three more weeks as there's a new model arriving... And everything my Redline has this new 435i coupe has, plus a few more things.. However the price factor alone makes this no contest at all.
On a side note my friend has a 335i with full exhaust and gets spanked by me every time ;)

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I do like European cars. Good engineering, fast and ahead of most when it comes to suspension and driveline.

Aussie cars though, raw, fast and bang for your buck. I like having a single cam engine that's easy and cheap to mod. I like that you can work on your car yourself at home without worrying about doing $7000 worth of damage. I also like that if I do break something there's a sea of commodores at my local wreckers to pick parts off.

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
The VF has all the bells & whistles, plus its affordable to most people.
Id like to see comparisons where the VF is tested day in and day out on the european autobahns travelling at speeds of 160+ for extended periods of time........
I think we would then find out which car has the superior engineering, and which is better built.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The VF has all the bells & whistles, plus its affordable to most people.
Id like to see comparisons where the VF is tested day in and day out on the european autobahns travelling at speeds of 160+ for extended periods of time........
I think we would then find out which car has the superior engineering, and which is better built.

I don't think the gap is as big as many (pro-euro) would have us believe.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I don't think the gap is as big as many (pro-euro) would have us believe.
Lol, if you like plastic as far as the eye can see.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
The BMW will hold its value much better then a commodore.

BMW has also be using this technology for along time. Holden have just jumped on the bandwagon now, and are dealing with all the problem that arise with such an improvement. I'm sure in 2-3 years BMW and other European makes will have technology that you'll be scratching your head over too.

The VF will have the same fate as the VE. Mild excitement from fanboys who want something temporarily different, until the market is flooded by them. I give it 36 months before we're all sick of hearing about the VF's, because it's very much possible to advertise a product TOO much.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Lol, if you like plastic as far as the eye can see.

plenty of plastic in a BMW cabin. Also, meh. All cars are steel chassis with electronics and plastics and little bits of metal/leather clipped onto them. A fool and his money are easily parted by shiny things.