Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2013 VF SV6 check engine light

Gozzybogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi everyone I have a 2013 VF SV6 6 speed automatic sedan and on the way home from work tonight the check engine light came on as I was driving.
I pulled straight over and **** the VF down and restarted it after a few minutes but the check engine light was still on.
The VF seems to be driving as normal it's not down on power or anything out of the ordinary so it has me both puzzled and slightly concerned it could be something big about to fail.
Has anyone get an idea on what the cause could be?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG20231004201232.jpg
    IMG20231004201232.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 97

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
could be many things u will have to read the DTC to see what code it is

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yes that check engine light (CEL) just means "a thing happened, please dig around inside the engine computer to find a record of what the thing is".

What you need is an "OBD2 scanner", you can get reasonable ones for around the $100 mark from car-parts places, and I'm told that you can get Supercheap Auto to scan your car for you (some people say it's free others have been charged - it may depend on whether they're busy at the time). There's a plug under-and-to-the-right of the steering column, you plug the device in & it's usually pretty intuitive what you need to do.

Gozzybogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
*UPDATE*
Just went to remote start the SV6 as normal and it doesn't remote start since CEL came on....
Hazards flash but no fire up

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You still need to get that code from the engine, you've probably only reduced the number of possibilities (for someone who knows VF's like the back of their hand) down to only a few hundred with the extra symptom.

If you're going to try & self-diagnose stuff like this in future, the aforementioned scanner's worth the ~$100 as it works for all cars.
Otherwise it's a mechanic, see if you know someone you can borrow one from (eg. mention the area/suburb of Perth you're in maybe someone in here will be nearby?), or try getting SuperCheap to read the code for you.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
*UPDATE*
Just went to remote start the SV6 as normal and it doesn't remote start since CEL came on....
Remote start will not work with CEL
Scan it!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
*UPDATE*
Of course it won't. The engine has a problem the requires some attention from the owner.