Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2014 vf1 to ls3 swap

Hasttyyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf series 1
Hey guys need some help anyone ever swap an ls3 into a series 1? I've marked out everything I need just need to know if the mounts from 2014 to 2016 engines changed

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
All LS engine mounts are the same - car has/had another LS in it? Unless your L77 is borked, would highly recommend just selling what you've got and buying something that already has an LS3 though. Will need a retune at a minimum if you hadn't planned that far yet.

Hasttyyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf series 1
All LS engine mounts are the same - car has/had another LS in it? Unless your L77 is borked, would highly recommend just selling what you've got and buying something that already has an LS3 though. Will need a retune at a minimum if you hadn't planned that far yet.
It's generally a v6 but putting an ls3 in with everything is 20k cheaper than buying what I need plus all the aftermarket parts I've done with it just seeing if I need to make new brackets or I can drop in the ls3 to where the v6 sat

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No, V6 is totally different. Different mounts, historically a different tailshaft, radiator, gearbox, loom ECU blah blah blah. Different everything. Holden might have seen their design flaw and used the same k-frame though so you might get of easy there and just be able to bolt the factory LS mounts in. The electronics side alone would stop me doing it. Even before you factor in time spent doing it, it's not 20k cheaper.

Only way it would be worthwhile is using a donor car or wreck.

Last edited:

Hasttyyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf series 1
No, V6 is totally different. Different mounts, historically a different tailshaft, radiator, gearbox, loom ECU blah blah blah. Different everything. Holden might have seen their design flaw and used the same k-frame though so you might get of easy there and just be able to bolt the factory LS mounts in. The electronics side alone would stop me doing it. Even before you factor in time spent doing it, it's not 20k cheaper.

Only way it would be worthwhile is using a donor car or wreck.
I've got the build list as an engine with all the ecus computers harnesses driveshaft tail shaft new hubs with the shafts led screen bimodal exhaust mounts didnt think the engine bay would be very different though?

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Hubs assembly and engine cross member is the same v6 to v8, you can get lucky and some wreckers sell complete conversions with what you need, I know 1 here in Adelaide has a kit for $12k

Hasttyyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf series 1
Hubs assembly and engine cross member is the same v6 to v8, you can get lucky and some wreckers sell complete conversions with what you need, I know 1 here in Adelaide has a kit for $12k
Yeah I work at mainfreight and one of our branch managers brings in containers of wrecked commodores and said I can have a full donor car if I need

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Yeah I work at mainfreight and one of our branch managers brings in containers of wrecked commodores and said I can have a full donor car if I need
nice