Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 HSV Clubsport R8 Gen F or 2016 SSV Redline

RedtheRiotAct

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina S2
So I am looking to upgrade, and with all the EOFY sales, pricing is a little more right for me.

I have LOVED the VF SSV Redline since it came out to me (my opinion only) it is the last of the true Commodore Aussie V8's.

BUT, I went to the dealers the other day and they have a 2015 Clubsport R8 GEN F at a price very close to the price I would pay for my Redline.

I have always wanted a Clubsport, but they were always out of reach. I also want one of the last of the Aussie V8's - along with winning the lottery.

This is where I am completely pulled apart.

In my view the Clubsport sits under its own 'brand' of HSV. To me the last of the Aussie V8's at the pinacle level is the SSV Redline.

I was interested to know others thoughts on this.

Red The Riot Act

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
I drove a Gen F Clubby as well as a VF2 Redline before buying my VF2 Redline. The clubby was indeed awesome, but in my humble opinion, the gap was too close in terms of performance and ride - I just wanted the Factory fresh experience :yeah:
If you have always wanted a HSV my friend, then perhaps that's the one for you - they are a great car.

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
Mate I agree with what you are saying, if the Clubby is very close in price and you have always wanted a clubby then it's a no brainier..... Get the clubby you will be a very happy boy, they are great cars

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
You should buy whatever you prefer. It is a matter of opinion which is better. Personally, the only HSVs I like are the E2 and E3 series. Also many would disagree with me but I believe in the long term a Holden will be worth more than a HSV which is really just a modified Holden.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah, I'll be among those who are disagreeing, Noeleter. :)

In the long term an HSV might be considered to just be a higher-spec Holden, which it is, but higher-spec anything is always worth more. There are rare racing-related examples, but all the cars I know of which have increased in value due to interest by enthusiasts have been the top spec cars if they were in a range; eg GTHO & XU-1, Monaro GTS.

Because they were available from the manufacturer with manufacturer warranty, they'll never be pooh-poohed by the market in the same way a cammed & aftermarket-exhausted Commodore is.

Back to the original question; if the R8 is close to the Redline price, I reckon yeah go the R8. The engine's the big thing, and there's not a massive amount of difference there; but there are a lot of little things the R8 has which the Redline doesn't. I do know that the Redline does have a couple of features that the R8 doesn't, but can't remember what they are ... if one of them is the HUD, then I think I'd be back to considering the Redline again, HUD is pretty Smurfy.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
You should buy whatever you prefer. It is a matter of opinion which is better. Personally, the only HSVs I like are the E2 and E3 series. Also many would disagree with me but I believe in the long term a Holden will be worth more than a HSV which is really just a modified Holden.

I must disagree with you on that one, the HSV's hold there value better than the Holdens, atleast in NZ anyway.

Look at a VX HSV and they are over twice what a VX SS is worth.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ You can buy a VX HSV for $8? :eek: I'd kinda be interested in that!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Go with what you want and don't kid yourself HSV are just as Aussie as the SS is.

My opinion FWIW - go the HSV, I had a simlar decision when I bought my HSV, 2 cars same price what do I buy? I don't regret choosing the HSV for a minute.

If you are after the fastest kid on the block, wtf go buy an XR6T already - then cry when someone blows by in something else "fastest" isn't "bestest".

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Its all personal opinion do a pros and cons list you like does the clubsport have a sun roof, HUD, Resale (which would be better than a redline) and then throw that in the bin go with your heart which you will anyway:beer chug: