Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 vs 2017 Redline differences?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Earlier? Yet the peak output is at exactly the same revs as the MY16 model?
I'm not understanding your question here.
Why wouldn't software be able to tweak something at one point in the rev-range (&/or load) without affecting it at other points (&/or loads)?

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i am no expert with modern engines but its not like working or turning a old carbed red six or 308, you can make changers to mixture and timing any where you want to on new engines.
i believe with the software on today's engines you can alter mixture, timing ect at any point in the rpm range .
so to gain more bottom end power if you can richen up the mixture and give it more ignition advance in the lower rev range.
the engine sees only that change in the rev range , the overall power remains the same

XR_Strider_GuY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN F2 SV Black
The specifications are identical for the MY16 and MY17 at 304kw@6000rpm and torque at 570Nm@4400rpm. If a tune is altered for better low down power we will either see maximum torque of 570Nm at a lower rpm or maximum power at a lower rpm. Also no doubt Holden would be letting the press know for extra marketing blurb and cache along with gloss black interior trim and mirror caps.

Similar to the update Holden did with the manual L76 to L77. Power was status quo at 270kw but in the L77 it occurred 100rpm lower.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
did you read the article, holden engineers did let the press know .;)
you can tune in the power curve to come on and start a bit earlier, for more get up and go , this has no effect on max torque or kw power at rpm.
its just increasing the power curve

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Guess I am cynical with "getting something for nothing". So what's the downside of having this power/torque early in the rev range?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Guess I am cynical with "getting something for nothing". So what's the downside of having this power/torque early in the rev range?
Needing to spend the time to dyno-tune the engine such that it gets this extra low-revs power (read “initial throttle response”).
Take it too far & you could get pinging if it’s too hot.