Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2019/2020 Calais V Wagon (Tourer) AWD

Mike001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V VF Sedan
Hi. First post so go easy on me.

I'm thinking of getting one of these (used of course) - I currently have the VF Calais V Sedan which I really like.

BUT ... call me an old fart - I like having a Radio/CD. I've searched everywhere - maybe using wrong words ... - to see if I can have one installed in the 2019/20 Wagon but can't find a thing - even a link. OR - if its even possible.

So - is it possible ? We listen to "Talking Books" on our trips and the CD is essential to this. Any ideas/links ?

I do find it amazing today to find a car with no radio/CD - as I did 40 years ago ... ! Mind you - we have starter buttons now so maybe its not that odd. I remember my Mum's old Mini had a starter button on the floor :)

Appreciate any advice - but not to use an iPhone ... :)

Mike001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V VF Sedan
Any tips on this wagon would also be appreciated - ie issues / problems / recalls etc ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No you can’t get a CD player. The headunit is completely compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Those books are going to be readily available on those platforms to play in the car.

It would be amazing to find a CD player. CD sales have plummeted. A year or two ago LP sales exceeded CD. Media is now almost entirely streamed though.

You can copy the CDs to a usb thumb drive and plug that it maybe?

Mike001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V VF Sedan
No you can’t get a CD player. The headunit is completely compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Those books are going to be readily available on those platforms to play in the car.

It would be amazing to find a CD player. CD sales have plummeted. A year or two ago LP sales exceeded CD. Media is now almost entirely streamed though.

You can copy the CDs to a usb thumb drive and plug that it maybe?

A lot of trouble though. You'd think someone would have a CD/Radio set-up that would slip in ... :)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
A lot of trouble though. You'd think someone would have a CD/Radio set-up that would slip in ... :)

World has moved on. Why waste the expense and space for a CD player that 99.9% of buyers won't use.

As above, there are USB slots for either a stick or cable to your phone to play MP3s.
Or you can bluetooth your phone to stream 100M songs!

Its like when eight track or tapes stopped. Technology and markets moves on.
Lots of people want services not products.

Mike001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V VF Sedan
World has moved on. Why waste the expense and space for a CD player that 99.9% of buyers won't use.

As above, there are USB slots for either a stick or cable to your phone to play MP3s.
Or you can bluetooth your phone to stream 100M songs!

Its like when eight track or tapes stopped. Technology and markets moves on.
Lots of people want services not products.

Yes and no. I doubt that statistic.

I don't remember 8 tracks in cars ... :) And a CD is hardly a lot of space. They are merely pandering to the big-Tech companies like apple.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Yes and no. I doubt that statistic.

I don't remember 8 tracks in cars ... :) And a CD is hardly a lot of space. They are merely pandering to the big-Tech companies like apple.

You'd be surprised I think.
What car looked at which cars have CD players still.
https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/which-new-cars-have-a-cd-player/n21886

Space required for a bluetooth module/USB slot to link your phone = practically none.
Space for a CD player = at least 100mm depth. Trashes your dashboard design options.

Overall CD sales are way down, 4% of US music market last year
https://www.statista.com/chart/12950/cd-sales-in-the-us/

I legitimately can't remember the last time I listened to a CD in the car, maybe four cars/eight years ago?

Mike001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V VF Sedan
You'd be surprised I think.
What car looked at which cars have CD players still.
https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/which-new-cars-have-a-cd-player/n21886

Space required for a bluetooth module/USB slot to link your phone = practically none.
Space for a CD player = at least 100mm depth. Trashes your dashboard design options.

Overall CD sales are way down, 4% of US music market last year
https://www.statista.com/chart/12950/cd-sales-in-the-us/

I legitimately can't remember the last time I listened to a CD in the car, maybe four cars/eight years ago?

Yeah - you may be right. I don't usually listen to them - just on a trip.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Car stereos are no longer a stand alone unit. They are intergrated into the cars CANbus network. They operate HVAC, integrate with our devices, many integrate sat nav functions, steering wheel controls are via CANbus.
The days of stand alone music players are lonnnnng gone.
After market manufacturers are not going to make a CD player that no one will buy for individual models of cars. They’d have to make hundreds. Many cars have different Entertainment systems across different models (eg Low spec v mid v high spec.) that can’t easily, or at all, be swapped.

The technology is far too advanced.

Your going to have to find a new way, and doing a simple CD to mp3 stored on a thumb drive is the only way in newer cars. Many new cars don’t even offer that feature because mp3’s are also redundant.