Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 Holden Air Leak Issue

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hey,
Thank you for your feed back!
Yes, the cam was run in at approx. 2200 revs for 30minutes on first start up.
I'm not sure how to 'tweak' the carby.... Haha I thought I did pretty well just getting the cam in! This may need to be done by a mechanic.
When the car is trying to idle, I put my hand over the carb butterflies & the rev's increase?? Suggesting it is still a vacuum issue?
Yep either a vacuum leak or it's running lean at idle due to incorrect jetting

It's still a baby cam though, and I would at least expect it to idle without too much trouble.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Putting your hand over the carbie would cause the mixture to richen up.

MONARQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Holden Commodore Royal
Big cam to be putting in an old motor does it have a vac leak or doesn't that cam make much vacuum at low revs? Are you shaw that cam can work with your current set up?
It looks pretty close to a crow 35666 we used to like them we'd change the carby, extractors recurve the distributor, high performance valve springs. While rebuilding the motor.
If its an auto will it need a high stall?

Yea, I know it is a pretty lumpy cam, but I discussed this with Auckland Cams (company I brought cam off). And apparently this cam works well in a standard 202 with auto trans. If the cam was anymore lumpier then a stall convertor could possibly be required, but it cam profile doesn't required a high stall convertor.
I have also called Auckland Cams to see if he could help, but he confirmed the lumpiness of the cam will not be the issue.
I have high performance valve springs on order, but I hope I don't have to change new carby, extractors, dizzy etc...

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yea, I know it is a pretty lumpy cam, but I discussed this with Auckland Cams (company I brought cam off). And apparently this cam works well in a standard 202 with auto trans. If the cam was anymore lumpier then a stall convertor would be required, but it was designed so this was not required.
I have also called Auckland Cams to see if he could help, but he confirmed the lumpiness of the cam will not be the issue.
I have high performance valve springs on order, but I hope I don't have to change my carby, extractors, dizzy etc...

Hq racers use a cam with the same specs as the 666 and use a single stormberg (although modified). The varajet is a huge improvement over the stromberg and is quite a good carb so you won't have any troubles with that.

The exhaust won't be a problem either since the blue motor manifolds pose very little restriction and IMHO are a great design (in comparison to previous manifolds). At the very least though, make sure your exhaust is at least 2 inches in diameter after the y piece.

Getting the dizzy regraphed is worth it as mentioned above. Although the vk efi distributor has a better advance curve for a mild cam and gives more initial advance. That's what I run in mine. New springs are also a good idea and will help with the life of the cam and lifters.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if you put ya hand over the carb and cut the air down and it revs up its running lean .the 2 barrel varajet carbs on them are horrid things best thing you could do is find a two barrel Weber (32-36) off of the XE falcon on trademe and mess with that instead.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
if you put ya hand over the carb and cut the air down and it revs up its running lean .the 2 barrel varajet carbs on them are horrid things best thing you could do is find a two barrel Weber (32-36) off of the XE falcon on trademe and mess with that instead.

Or better still, inject it :p
Would be able to knock it over in a weekend easily. And the crappy vk analogue computer would be able to deal O.K. with that cam too.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I thought the OP said it was running OK with the new cam until the fiber gear shat itself.

MONARQ

Reaction score
Members Ride

Haha i'm not putting anything off a ford on it!
Yes, it has got a 3" exhaust system all the way from the 'Y' piece.

MONARQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or better still, inject it :p
Would be able to knock it over in a weekend easily. And the crappy vk analogue computer would be able to deal O.K. with that cam too.

I'd love to inject it, but my wallet is still recovering from the cam rebuild.
And the car is a VH Royal

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its a webber they come off lots of things LOL.will be instant gas saving and power output gain just from swaping it on there compared to the old worn varajet