Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"21. Driver air bag circuit resistance too high"...how can i fix it?

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
I'm currently dealing with this same issue.
Mine came on when I pulled up in a hurry to avoid someone not giving way. Dad lurched forward in the passengers seat snapping the belt dead tight. The srs then went off.
I've cleared the code twice but it comes back.
I have a Vident Holden scan tool but don't know how to use it yet to identify the problem component. The manual is very lacking.
I'd be interested in a run down of what components and connections are part of the srs system. And any idea on how to use the Vident tool if anyone here has one.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I'm currently dealing with this same issue.
Mine came on when I pulled up in a hurry to avoid someone not giving way. Dad lurched forward in the passengers seat snapping the belt dead tight. The srs then went off.
I've cleared the code twice but it comes back.
I have a Vident Holden scan tool but don't know how to use it yet to identify the problem component. The manual is very lacking.
I'd be interested in a run down of what components and connections are part of the srs system. And any idea on how to use the Vident tool if anyone here has one.
I'd be checking passenger seat belt tensioner.

What vident scanner do you have? I have the i400au.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
yea it's the i400AU.
Only had it since last Friday. Plugged it in twice so far for a fiddle.
Reset the srs twice. First time it came back after a 15 minute drive but strangely right at the end while sitting in the driveway idling.
So no wheel turning or anything. Strange. So hopefully that's a sign its NOT the clock spring. Because $450 for one is criminal.
I was hoping the scan tool might have shown some resistance loop live values?
A manual and some diagrams on the srs system would be handy.
Edit: found a manual online. Reading / learning.

Last edited:

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
So it looks like this is the gobble-d-goop I need to understand for starters.
Try to work out where these connectors and terminals are and check and clean them.
Then move on to the clock spring if necessary.

Error-21-SRS-2021-02-13_200712.jpg

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
@Lex so just had a play with the vident.
First loop comes up as 6.8ohm resistance :(
Jumps to 7.8 / 8.0 ohm when I start the car. (Higher voltage effect I guess).
Turning the wheel does nothing.
So I guess bad connection somewhere.
Any idea where all the different connectors are on that side? Besides the obvious in the wheel around the clock spring.

Also since I am able to reset the error with the tool, is there really any need to disconnect the battery while unplugging, cleaning, and reconnecting conndctors?

This car has had water / moisture in it long term too BTW from a leaky roof. (Long story). So its not a long shot that it could be a corroded connection.

MARCUSARNIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 SV6 Black Commodore Wagon
I got the srs light constantly on and the display says something like srs fault.
Did a computer scan and "21. Driver air bag circuit resistance too high" came up.

Checked the code on the workshop manual but there is almost a page of possibilities, non of which are clear or i could understand.

Anyone ever had this problem or know what the solution is? Hear i just have to replace the steering/horn coil/clockspring...is that true?
Yes it’s a faulty clockspring

MARCUSARNIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 SV6 Black Commodore Wagon
Yes it’s a faulty clockspring
It’s not a hard job-2 hints disconnect battery-and leave it half hour-before you take off steering wheel mark wheel & spindle with marker for centre-changed my clockspring about 2yrs ago -no lights since

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
@Lex so just had a play with the vident.
First loop comes up as 6.8ohm resistance :(
Jumps to 7.8 / 8.0 ohm when I start the car. (Higher voltage effect I guess).
Turning the wheel does nothing.
So I guess bad connection somewhere.
Any idea where all the different connectors are on that side? Besides the obvious in the wheel around the clock spring.

Also since I am able to reset the error with the tool, is there really any need to disconnect the battery while unplugging, cleaning, and reconnecting conndctors?

This car has had water / moisture in it long term too BTW from a leaky roof. (Long story). So its not a long shot that it could be a corroded connection.
Is the first loop drivers airbag or seat belt pretensioner?

Going by your first post, l'd be looking at the passenger seat belt pretensioner.

I've got a photo of enyvious customs srs software. I have used this software to get all the data on one page (photo). With the vident software, its one item at a time. (ex.drivers airbag). It has all the correct outputs, EXCEPT the drivers airbag & capacitance. Ignore my drivers side readings.
If your airbag loop & capacitance readings are around the passenger side readings, they will be ok. If you see readings like my drivers airbag & capacitance you will have found what will be faulty.

Hope this helps, & doesn't confuse you to much.
20210214_125114[1].jpg

Last edited:

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
@Lex Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. Yes I was going to buy the Envious SRS package for over a year now but got put off by it being cripple ware. So glad I waited now as I think the Vident Tool is far better value for money really.
It is the first loop so I'm suspecting the Clock Spring now :(
Will have to wait till I can get my hands on a cheap one before trying to replace it.
Will investigate the old one too as they honestly don't look that complex.
NOS price of $450 is just criminal. :(

Reactions: Lex

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
@Lex Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. Yes I was going to buy the Envious SRS package for over a year now but got put off by it being cripple ware. So glad I waited now as I think the Vident Tool is far better value for money really.
It is the first loop so I'm suspecting the Clock Spring now :(
Will have to wait till I can get my hands on a cheap one before trying to replace it.
Will investigate the old one too as they honestly don't look that complex.
NOS price of $450 is just criminal. :(

I'm not sure what you mean by cripple ware. I've just used the Envyous SRS package and it did exactly what was expected.

Yep, the OEM clock spring is a little pricey but they're not all that much cheaper elsewhere unless you go second hand. Why would you go second hand on an item like this with the risk that it fails within a very short time frame.

The extra money you spent on the Vident would have nearly paid for a new clock spring.