Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

231s

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
250kg makes a huge difference when you are talking about V6 engines that make 125/147kw and the lowest base weight is 1300kg. This discussion is about V6 engines in Commodores so nothing else is really relevant. The other thing is people talk about power but forget about the torque where the difference is even less between the 2 engines been 292Nm and 304Nm respectively.

We aren't racing Corollas here with engine transplants :)

I don't find torque relevant as such moreso the torque to horse power ratio as torque can be changed via gears while power is absolute.
How the engine acts is not how much peak torque it has but rather the ratio between the output power average vs the torque peak gives you an idea of how the engine will react.

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
Yeah for a 1977 my bike goes pretty damn hard for a 400cc. Like you say compared to a modern bike it's fairly average.
But I bet it makes ya smile!! I've got a little 92 rgv 250 been awhile since it's been on the road use to flog my mates on brand new 600 an 1000cc on the twisted road but you had to commit an keep her on the pipe.

H

harrop.senator

But I bet it makes ya smile!! I've got a little 92 rgv 250 been awhile since it's been on the road use to flog my mates on brand new 600 an 1000cc on the twisted road but you had to commit an keep her on the pipe.

I miss my rgv I came close to swapping my other sc28, Resto project ( complete but has sat for years) urban tiger cbr900 for one that needed just as much work.

The price these days is nuts!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I remember when those RGV 250s came out 65hp at the wheel, for such a light bike. They soon changed bike laws for learners when they came out, as they realised the 250cc rule was no longer going to cut it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd love to know what my RD is worth in the current market? It owes me probably $10-12k but I know I'd never get that for it. Not that it's for sale I've had it for 30 years. I struggle to ride it now though with my missing finger and a bastard of a stiff clutch.

H

harrop.senator

I'd love to know what my RD is worth in the current market? It owes me probably $10-12k but I know I'd never get that for it. Not that it's for sale I've had it for 30 years. I struggle to ride it now though with my missing finger and a bastard of a stiff clutch.

Honestly probably around 20. Keep going if absolutely mint with spares.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't reckon I could get $20k as although it's in very good condition its been highly modified and has all the factory electrical removed. It's a race bike and has been for over 20 years.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't find torque relevant as such moreso the torque to horse power ratio as torque can be changed via gears while power is absolute.
How the engine acts is not how much peak torque it has but rather the ratio between the output power average vs the torque peak gives you an idea of how the engine will react.

Power is just a multiplication of torque by rpm (and a constant).

Remember the old saying, "torque wins races and power wins sales"?

I also never said anything about peak torque, my point been that the torque spread between the 2 engines isn't that much however the ecotec makes quiet a bit more power simply because it revs out more but on the down side it's a total slug down low.

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
I miss my rgv I came close to swapping my other sc28, Resto project ( complete but has sat for years) urban tiger cbr900 for one that needed just as much work.

The price these days is nuts!
I'd like to say I'll never sell it! I've only run it in from having to empty its pistons out of the expansion chambers years ago, when they first opened the 4 lanes form g/coast to brissy I was going for top speed think I hit 280ks before it made a funny tingle just got the clutch in just before lock up.too many good rides on that one to part with!!