Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 high idle

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Yup but at that point I didn't want to pull it apart, and now I understand what I'm looking for a bit better ill look into it. Thxnk you top

Sent from your god, for you to worship and give money

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
Yup but at that point I didn't want to pull it apart, and now I understand what I'm looking for a bit better ill look into it. Thxnk you top
I thought you did want to pull it apart and that was why you asked about gasket sealant.

Wasnt trying to steal your thunder. Its been difficult for me to get a word in cos' pretty much everything youve been saying i agree with :p
It's ok, I wasn't suggesting anything like you were stealing my thunder. It's nice to be on a forum where some members actually know what they are talking about. Out of all of them I am on I can count on one hand where some people actually do have good knowledge, you are on that hand.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
At that point I was hoping it would last long enough to put the quady on, but it's not looking that way, now I have to do something. I did t want to spend money on something I was getting rid of. Now I'm going to have to, so for now I think I'll accumulate the bits I need for a quady and do it a little further down the track.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you are on that hand.

i think we may need to get a room :)

kingie, go here: Carburettor Rebuild Kits

i dont know which one suits you, but looks like 23 bucks for the rebuild kit. thats blue (reusable) gaskets, needle and seat and power valve (ring to confirm all that though as each kit is different) i think buying a float is a bit of a waste if you are not gonna keep it. ive heard the old tin floats can perish around the soldering joints, but if its a plastic float its pretty much good for life. plus as i said, if the needle and seat are gone, then itll drip into you venturies, you can see it happen while the engine is running and itll be rich as all hell, billowing carbon smoke.

while youre inside the carb, blow every sinlge hole you can find with carby cleaner (or brake cleaner if youre a tigharse like me) and compressed air. DOOOOONT stick anything in the air bleeds! if they look like gunk is in them its important to make sure they are 100% clean but if you enlarge that tiiiiiny little hole you increase the amount of air allowed in and itll mess with your fuel delivery. but those bleeds do have to be spotless.

you can set your float to the right point by turning the fluel bowl upside down and adjusting the nut untill the top of the float is dead level with the roof of the bowl. on the 4bbls, its usually around an 8mm gap between the roof and the float.

mixutre needles should be cleaned very carefully with 1000 grit sandpaper, screwed in gently till they bottom out, then unscrewed 3 turns (1.5 360 degree rotations) dont forget to blow out their holes while the needles are out.

NIP all the bolts up. dont overtighten, the gaskets will take up the slack and you dont wanna bend the carb body.

the carb should be ready to bolt back on and run (at least thats as far as my memory runs, im sure there is more ive forgotton), final tuning will need to be done again though. but 3 turns should get it pretty close to spot on.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's fine KC. I know the feeling about spending money, my troopie has just kacked its clutch on me now it's over due for rego. Have the money for rego and insurance but not for a clutch and I really wanted to put a T700R4 in it during the Christmas holidays as well. Can't afford to let the troopie go for to long without rego cause I don't want to go through a blue slip again which will put me in NSW's new modified rules and they are a pain.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
i think we may need to get a room :)
I'll pass on that thanks :rofl2:

you can set your float to the right point by turning the fluel bowl upside down and adjusting the nut untill the top of the float is dead level with the roof of the bowl. on the 4bbls, its usually around an 8mm gap between the roof and the float.
I learned something today :beer chug:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Before I bought the VC I was going to fit a 6.5 litre AMG Turbo Diesel P400/T700R4 in the Troopie but the opportunity to get the VC was to tempting so the P400 idea was shelved in favour of owning a classic piece of Australian history. I don't regret it but the clutch giving up now is a serious pain in the :butt:

Sorry KC I'll get back on topic now I promise.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Thanks ari, google and you tube have helped a lot, I'm not sure what float is in it, so I'll get a new one anyway, I'm picking up float, needle and seat (although, they look good to me, clean, works freely) and power valve this arvo, and hopefully that is enough to keep it going, being the one car I can drive at the moment, I can't pull stuff off to have a look first.

I was expecting cash this week, but it's been pushed back 2 weeks min, so it can't want now..

The p400 idea sounds good, I like it.