Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK executive
Hey guys

sorry for a lot of posts.

i currently have a black 202 in my car with a 350holly carby, and its getting tired, i took it to my mechanic the other day and he done a compression test and 5 cylinders are low on compression and he said i should start looking for either a recon 202 or a v8 or w/e i wanted in it next,

So i spotted a holden 253 motor for sale for $350 he said its a good running motor only reason he is taking it out is cause he wants a bigger v8 in his car, but i am getting mixed information from people,
some people are saying they are crap others are saying they are ok, people are also telling me either a 186 motor or 308 would be the better choice.

what do you guys think? 253 motor ok or get something else?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
In a VK its technically illegal to fit a 253 as they never came out with them, same deal with a 186. A 308 is always going to be better then a 253. A 253 is a good solid engine and will serve you well but if your after performance you should opt for the 308.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
I used to have a HJ ute with a blue 253 taken from a WB, more than good enough towing power plus was a tad cheaper to run than my VH SS was to drive at the time.
A good healthy 253 is gr8 if you're not wanting all out grunt and if a 6 just hasn't got enough oomph to it.

Then again, i've seen plenty of 202's that could shame a humble 308 with a bit of work.

It's up to you mate, do you want any old v8 to have in the "middle ground" or do you want more grunt too?
Plenty of people have put vn efi onto 253's for reasonable power and economy. And i'd have to admit with 253's, just like 308's, nothing quite sounds like them!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
253 is basically a 308 with a smaller bore.
So they aren't ****, but obviously they are a rather small cube V8, so you have a very similar engine weight to a 308, without the cubes.
If you have plans for more hp, then you are better of spending the extra few $$ on a 308. But if you are happy enough with a stock or near stock 253 power, then they are just as good as a 308 in every other regard.

Strangely enough, a well tuned 253 used to get better fuel economy than a 202, plus they had more torque and power. And of course the V8 exhaust note.
But as mentioned, from a legal point of view, you may face some obstacles getting a 253 VK registered as it wasn't an optional engine for the VK.

Redy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK executive
@scott - well i atm $1000 - 2000 probable, i can get a worked recondition 202 for $1000 so i am guessing that is my best option so far, i don't mind the 202's, i haven't driven a car with a decent one in it yet.

@drewVHSS well i have always liked the sound of a v8 and I've always wanted one, and i would like the extra power but nothing to powerful as it would be my first v8, i mean the only car's I've driven are 6cyl's and mine was a tired motor when i got it so i don't know what power is yet lol.

and the other question is, what was the factory v8 that came out in vk's 308's? and would anyone happen to know where i could look up or ring up about any recondition motors/fair good condition motors in QLD? v8 or 202's

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Depending on year, 308 or 304.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
@scott - well i atm $1000 - 2000 probable, i can get a worked recondition 202 for $1000 so i am guessing that is my best option so far, i don't mind the 202's, i haven't driven a car with a decent one in it yet.

@drewVHSS well i have always liked the sound of a v8 and I've always wanted one, and i would like the extra power but nothing to powerful as it would be my first v8, i mean the only car's I've driven are 6cyl's and mine was a tired motor when i got it so i don't know what power is yet lol.

and the other question is, what was the factory v8 that came out in vk's 308's? and would anyone happen to know where i could look up or ring up about any recondition motors/fair good condition motors in QLD? v8 or 202's

You should be able to get a good 253 with a gearbox still attached off ebay dirt cheap. If i didn't score my VL for free, that's what i was going to do for running gear in my VB, grab a cheap 253 and truamatic, drop em in.
I usually see them going for a couple of hundred bucks.

Redy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK executive
if i do get a 253, can it go on to the trimatic gearbox i have? and i also heard that my 350holly carby can go on it if i get a adapter plate?

i don't want anything to powerful for now just something to cruise on the highway and run around the shops take my bro to school ect, till i save up and get a later model car then i'll keep it as a weekend car/project and do it up slowly and drop a bigger motor in it later.

this is the motor i was thinking of getting
253 Holden Motor | Car Engine Parts | Gumtree Hillcrest

oh and the year of my car is 1985

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
First off, find out if it can be passed in your car. I have a feeling it won't pass, due not meeting the vehicles emissions and wasn't available in that model.