Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3 seater ute after VS?

OZrevhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0 sedan, VS ute, ZX14
Guys, I have a 3 seater VS ute as a second car and it's great but it needs more go (it also overheats, uses water and failed a TeeKay head gasket test), so I looked at L67 converting it, doing a 5L and LS1 conversions but it would be easier if I could buy a V8 3 seater .... Has anyone seen a VU onwards ute with 3 seats? I don't mind swapping the LS into it but the shell has to have a column shift auto and 3 seats. I could make do with a floor shift of need be but it needs 3 seats. So has there ever been a 3 seater after VS or can one be made?

No don't even suggest a 3 seater falcon or a jap ute, neither are allowed in my driveway

Our VS was a $1000 special so I don't really want to spend $5000+ or so on an LS swap, though I am still considering it.

Cheers

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
What about a British bench seat truck?
images (3).jpeg

They are easy for any engine swap you desire.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
An L67 would be the simplest. Couple it with a Mace CAI and some Pacies and it will go ok, especially with a smaller SC pulley

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

OZrevhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, upwards of $15k unfortunately..

If I paid someone to do it maybe, but I wouldn't be, all home job. The cheapest conversion kit I found was around $1700 , if you only have to lengthen the harness I can do that and a wrecker pull engine/trans isn't going to cost $10,000. Anyway this isn't the issue in question here

So VS is my newest option ... Thanks boys

:)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Benchseat were available v6 manual so tbar should clear but have heard of dudes adapting factory column shift to v8 th700/4l60.

Only vu-vy v8 were s pack or ss...all were 2 seaters even tonners.

Never seen factory v8 vg-vs benchie as they were usually ordered povo pack or tradie ute

If you want everything to bolt up & work best bet is to buy from vs model from radiator to tailshaft.

OZrevhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 is probably the easiest and cheapest option , the security functions are handled by the BCM right? So I can use an L67 ecu with no hassles? Are there any weak points with the L67 that I should fix before fitting it? I read the conversion guide about the temp guage sender , it seems that the SC drive flogs out, is it worth getting an aftermarket snout up front? Or wait until it flogs then replace it?

I think I found a vx L67 with everything except trans for $1100 so that would work for me

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you can use your VS PCM and just get an L67 Memcal. You will need to use the VS exhaust manifolds as the VX ones won't fit.

OZrevhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's cool, can I use the vx harness? Or will it need modification? Is the vs temp wire in the pcm harness or body harness?