Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Ignition, ICE or MSD

kiwi pup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8 Excetuive
Well all, I am after info on ignition systems. I have a modded 304 inj car running a LINK ECU, currently using a modified rotary dizzy as a crank angle sensor in the standard dizzy location, through the ecu and firing 8 coils in sequential set up.
question is, all the mags i read and look at, all the top cars run MSD or ICE dizzy with single big coil and large leads.
what set up is the best for a street car?
currently eng runs 10:1 comp and pulls 7000rpm, plans for either more comp and bigger cam, or blower, possible NOS, so decent ignition is a must.

currently has a poor idle, stalls easily and fouls plugs on a regular basis.

what have people done in the past that works?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
One coil per cylinder should be better than the older style set up where one coil fires all cylinders. MSD is different in that it's a capacitive based system where as the normal ignition is inductive based system.

What coils are you using now?

kiwi pup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8 Excetuive
i am running Bosch capacitor style coils, and mitsi ignitor boxes, one box per 2 coils. i think the coils were for a mitsi of some sort but i bought them all new on the advice of the dyno tuner. car has never really run 100% since the set up was put in

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
currently has a poor idle, stalls easily and fouls plugs on a regular basis.
Sounds like a nice setup you have, but the first thing I'd do is find someone that knows what's what and get a decent tune. You may well find that after that your current ignition runs well enough.

What kind of coils are you using?
How many mS dwell are they getting?
I got myself one of these current clamps that you plug into a scope -> Hantek CC-65 AC/DC Current Clamp Meter Multimeter with BNC Connector - Blue + Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX For coil per plug stuff they are the ducks guts because you can see exactly how many amps the coil primary runs up to for a given amount of dwell time instead of relying on your friend's cousin's mate's mum's uncle for a recommendation that might have sorta worked for them but won't even come within a bull's roar of being right for your car anyway.

Assuming you are using LS coils, get a clamp, borrow a scope, and set the dwell until you see the coil current ramp up to say 6 amps.

Edit -> I see you are running Bosch coils. Which ones exactly?

kiwi pup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8 Excetuive
thanks for that, i guess its more confusion caused by reading magazines where all the serious holden engine cars still run a dizzy, even some of the LS conversion cars are running a dizzy. really cant be sure if my miss matched multi coil system is going to perform better than a out of the box large single coil and dizzy.
yea the first stop would be talk to the tuner and see how the ignition is running, i have heard ICE do a multi coil set up, from memory my coils are just a generic Bosch style.
ive also heard you can get a bit of timing scatter when using a dizzy, should check that too being my dizzy is a modified mazda rotary item lol.
does anyone know of a aftermarket crank angle sensor that i can buy to use the standard dizzy location?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Encase you need a change: My mate works at the local official LINK dyno tuning agent, and recently tuned a link on his VN V8.
Hamilton.

Rough idle definitely sounds like dissy/coil/timing issue.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
does anyone know of a aftermarket crank angle sensor that i can buy to use the standard dizzy location?
Maybe a VT 304 distributor might do the trick. They have two sensors - one 8-pulse for ignition trigger and one single-pulse for sequential injection sync but you could also use that for coil sync, especially if you had an 8-channel coil driver.

kiwi pup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8 Excetuive
never thought of using a vt dizzy, is a good point as we have also changed the vn injection to sequential instead of the group fire they run, the ecu is using 8 injector drivers as well as 8 coil drivers, so it is similar to a vt

kiwi pup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8 Excetuive
have done some racking of the brain, im at work in aussie and car is in NZ, pretty sure the coils are Bosch MEC717. ignitors are of a mitsi magna, which only ran one coil so im not sure excactly how they are wired.