Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 sniper kit

Cammed 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn ss, 5L vn calais
Hi all im looking into running the sniperkit on my vr commodore its just a 304 but im after some reviews ive also looked into vpw’s efi dual plane intake that runs fuel rail’s and run a proflow throttlebody but would like to know some feedback on them

Attachments

• EE809806-2745-4EF7-82BA-5E49EF17BA97.jpeg
    EE809806-2745-4EF7-82BA-5E49EF17BA97.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 0387CE44-D7E7-4753-977D-9AAEAEE8E13E.jpeg
    0387CE44-D7E7-4753-977D-9AAEAEE8E13E.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 49

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The snipers a really good bit of kit and looks a bit nicer as you don't need fuel rails etc. But it's also a lot more inefficient than a traditional port injection setup, it's designed for people with carburettors to quickly bolt on a high tech replacement, but it's not really a step up from port injection.

Is your VR a 4L60E though? If it is the sniper doesn't do transmission controls so you'll be a bit screwed.

If your car is auto you'll need a Pre VR Turbo 700, Turbo 350, Turbo 400 or a manual. Ånd you'll need a distributor thats compatible with the sniper (the factory bosch one won't be).

Proflow fuel rails set my car on fire last year (they are pretty poorly made), so I'd steer clear of anything proflow thats mission critical other than simple things. I'd spend the money and get a torque power or edelbrock manifold (I've got the edelbrock) and a fuelworks rail, the fuelworks rail was actually cheaper than the proflow.

Do you really need the sniper? I've got an efi hardware 4 barrel throttle body on mine, with an edelbrock dual plane running the factory ECU and a tune. Which is about 1/4 of the price than doing a sniper setup.

AKrJwGW.png

Last edited:

Cammed 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn ss, 5L vn calais
The snipers a really good bit of kit and looks a bit nicer as you don't need fuel rails etc. But it's also a lot more inefficient than a traditional port injection setup, it's designed for people with carburettors to quickly bolt on a high tech replacement, but it's not really a step up from port injection.

Is your VR a 4L60E though? If it is the sniper doesn't do transmission controls so you'll be a bit screwed.

If your car is auto you'll need a Pre VR Turbo 700, Turbo 350, Turbo 400 or a manual. Ånd you'll need a distributor thats compatible with the sniper (the factory bosch one won't be).

Proflow fuel rails set my car on fire last year (they are pretty poorly made), so I'd steer clear of anything proflow thats mission critical other than simple things. I'd spend the money and get a torque power or edelbrock manifold (I've got the edelbrock) and a fuelworks rail, the fuelworks rail was actually cheaper than the proflow.

Do you really need the sniper? I've got an efi hardware 4 barrel throttle body on mine, with an edelbrock dual plane running the factory ECU and a tune. Which is about 1/4 of the price than doing a sniper setup.

AKrJwGW.png
O ok good to know before pulling the trigger, ive just been looking around seeing what’s available i see aeroflow do a similar kit along with vpw aswell,

Only reason i metion the sniperkit was id seen afew people running them so was just curious

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
O ok good to know before pulling the trigger, ive just been looking around seeing what’s available i see aeroflow do a similar kit along with vpw aswell,

Only reason i metion the sniperkit was id seen afew people running them so was just curious
Yeah don't get me wrong the sniper kit works well as it cuts out needing a tuner as the unit is self tuning, you just need to tell it engine specs etc and it does the rest.

You might be getting confused as a lot of people that you see get the terminology wrongs. Theres the Holley Sniper EFI throttlebody which is a generic 4 barrel TB with an IAC and TPS sensor then theres the Holley Sniper EFI system which is the one you put a picture of, theres about a $4000 difference between the two. The efi system eliminates the factory ECU and wiring etc and is a fully self contained unit, hence the price.

This is the holley efi throttle body most will be running as it's just a standard TB:
HO112-602.jpg

I haven't seen anyone with a VR/VS running an actual full sniper system, it's annoying Holley did 2 products with basically the same name.

Most of the people on injected5ltr etc are running the throttle bodies not the efi system. The throttles are really really good quality, hence they are so popular.

Last edited:

Cammed 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn ss, 5L vn calais
Yeah don't get me wrong the sniper kit works well as it cuts out needing a tuner as the unit is self tuning, you just need to tell it engine specs etc and it does the rest.

You might be getting confused as a lot of people that you see get the terminology wrongs. Theres the Holley Sniper EFI throttlebody which is a generic 4 barrel TB with an IAC and TPS sensor then theres the Holley Sniper EFI system which is the one you put a picture of, theres about a $4000 difference between the two. The efi system eliminates the factory ECU and wiring etc and is a fully self contained unit, hence the price.

This is the holley efi throttle body most will be running as it's just a standard TB:
HO112-602.jpg

I haven't seen anyone with a VR/VS running an actual full sniper system, it's annoying Holley did 2 products with basically the same name.

Most of the people on injected5ltr etc are running the throttle bodies not the efi system. The throttles are really really good quality, hence they are so popular.
Yeah so with that holley you have in the picture im assuming looking at it it just acts as a normal throttlebody and you run fuel rails on the manifold like the one i posted? Ill have to look into the holley one

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah so with that holley you have in the picture im assuming looking at it it just acts as a normal throttlebody and you run fuel rails on the manifold like the one i posted? Ill have to look into the holley one
Correct it’s just a 4150 style 4 barrel throttle like the aeroflow, efihardware, proflow etc.

The good thing is it will work with the stock ecu, wiring, fuel system etc

Cammed 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn ss, 5L vn calais
Correct it’s just a 4150 style 4 barrel throttle like the aeroflow, efihardware, proflow etc.

The good thing is it will work with the stock ecu, wiring, fuel system etc
Yeah thats the ticket that is somthing id be looking at ill start pricing things up its good to just get some feedback and info on products so thought id ask the question

Cammed 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn ss, 5L vn calais
O and not sure if you said but did you use factory injectors or did you have to go aftermarket one to fit the manifold and rail?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you're using a single plane it's better to have the injectors at the TB.
Dual plane not so much because of RPM band.