Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

383 stroker build 2300 harrop

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Man I'd rather start with iron block or atleast larger 6.0/6.2 alloy motor...more cubes easier power as in get more you want in much tamer combination.

Also if get defected or break motor still got original ls1 to put back in BUT also leave in car to drive/enjoy however long it takes to build big motor...probably 18 months.

Do like 5.7 but more aftermarket support for bigger engines & heads although engineering might be easier if start with iron 4.8/5.3.

Lots to think about & plan not to mention unpredictable delays that will drive ya crazy

On gum tree there's 40 5.3s comming in on a container.
They're taking deposits and a 5.3 with heads is $3300 suits rebuild.
That's a perfect start point imo.

Edit: The 5.3 from what I've seen can take a 4 inch stroke and has a 3.780" bore standard and you can bore it to 3.9". This will only give you 383 though unless you sleeve.

But if you can find one you can get 400ci out of a 6.0l block.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Heres some food for thought on the 5.3 route.

Remember 14psi of boost will almost double your power everywhere. So if running at 14psi these engines will make 900-1000hp.

Sultana bwan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Would i loose much power wise by keeping it standard stroke? And and not worry about going to 383?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Would i loose much power wise by keeping it standard stroke? And and not worry about going to 383?

It all depends on what power curve you want.
Imo 5.7l with a 2300 blower and 4.11 diff gears should keep you happy.
But if you want extra torque low down you need to stroke it.

I own a 5l it used to be 355 then blew up now it's just a 304 I'm going to stroke it to a 383 only because a 396 needs to break into the water jacket. If the block could take 396 without hitting water I would be doing it.

Also remember a screw charger is a lot different to a turbo.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i made over 700rhp on standard bottom end, ethanol, cam, htv2300 14psi, enough torque down low to not be usable on the street, ive just built up an iron block with 365ci about to go in in next couple months but im also going for top end power as there is plenty of bottom end with the pd blower

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My VX SS with a HTV2300 running a 85mm pulley, little cam and full exhaust, built and stalled 4l60e runs around 320ishkw

Traction is compromised alot, currently running 255/40 17 Hankook RS4's which are a 200tw

Even on a "poorly" prepared, but better than the street, track at the drags I cannot get the power down with the RS4's

I need Drag radials

With a PD blower, even with a 85mm pulley, so 6-7psi, you are making big torque from idle, you need to work out how to make the thing hook

So having 500-600hpatw, on a street car, without drag radials, and the suspension required, your just going to make smoke

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Putting a PD blower on a 4.8/5.3 wouldn't be losing power when it would still have as much torque as 5.7...if anything it would have more potential being iron block.

For engineers probably works out better on paper otherwise more cubes the better BUT some engines not better to go max cubes.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Putting a PD blower on a 4.8/5.3 wouldn't be losing power when it would still have as much torque as 5.7...if anything it would have more potential being iron block.

For engineers probably works out better on paper otherwise more cubes the better BUT some engines not better to go max cubes.

It's more about where it makes power.
Bigger cubes will have less boost for the same power as the blower will only output a certain CFM.
This means the smaller the engine displacement the higher you're going to have to rev to make good power.
As Preston Mosher and Darin Morgan say it's always better to make power with cubes over RPM.

But in saying that really a 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0 are all going to make plenty of grunt under boost. It's not like we're messing with SR-20s, RB-25s and 1JZs lol.
Heck even a 3.8 buick super charged engine can make some good grunt not that it strokes me folk but each to their own.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

It'll be less dyno numbers but bolting a 2300 to a stock LS1 is going to put a big smile on your face and save you a heap of cash. Many have done it before you, it's a really easy job. I'd recommend freshening the top end up and getting a clutch that's up to the task. You'll have a lot more control over the power going down being manual, I don't have any of the above mentioned traction problems unless I want to

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
It'll be less dyno numbers but bolting a 2300 to a stock LS1 is going to put a big smile on your face and save you a heap of cash. Many have done it before you, it's a really easy job. I'd recommend freshening the top end up and getting a clutch that's up to the task. You'll have a lot more control over the power going down being manual, I don't have any of the above mentioned traction problems unless I want to
True that, my poor old slush box flashes and spins, the first 100 odd feet of track is trying to roll into the power, spinning, pedeling, rinse and repeat until into 3rd gear somewhere around 1/2 track

Fun, but slow

I'm thinking if I ever blow my built 4l60e I may get a stick