Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3rd Party Insurance claim process

eXphoid

I have no license yet xD.
Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
VZ executive & VS Equipe S2 Ecotec
If my car is insured as third party, and in the event of an accident where it is my fault; what is the process insurance companies go by to process a claim?

Has anybody experienced this?

How I see the situation is
- I make the claim
- They inspect the car I damaged
- Pay out the cars owner

Is there any part of this claim where by they send out anybody to look at my vehicle even though they're not covering the fixing of my car?

The reason I ask is I want to further modify my car by dropping it, full exhaust and a few other things.. HID's etc.

Thanks in advanced. I did a search but found nothing that explained exactly what I'm after.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm pretty sure the other part has to initiate the claim, but I'm not 100% on that. But I wouldn't do anything to your car, if your insurance deems your car 'roadworthy' they won't have to pay out, and well HIDs alone will do that.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Yes the other party puts their car into a mechanic who is an authorised repairer of [your insurer].

They send the quote to the [your insurer], they work out whether to write it off or not. They generally don't even inspect that car.

As they are only responsible for 3rd party repairs, [your insurer] is not interested in your HIDs unless the police tell them otherwise.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Your insurance company will want to look at your car, they will want to see if there is anything they can use against you to deny making any payment.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
yeah third party for you means you have to pay the excess
UNLESS YOUR CAR IS NOT WHAT THEY INSURED or ITS UNROADWORTHY

most insurance mobs will allow up-to 3 LEGAL changes to your car without notifying your insurance company
DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE i was caught out...

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
If its your fault then the other parties insurance company will go and asses their car after they get a quote for it,then their insurance will get payed to repair their car,then their insurance company will contact yours to collect the money for the repairs,because yours will be repaired or written off by your insurer you will then lose your no claim bonus.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Pretty sure they'll inspect the damage on your car to match it up to the other car, after all some dints could already be on the other persons car.. How do you know exactly what they claimed?