Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4l80 conversion in a vx commodore

derovx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx calais 383
Hi all, looking at fitting a 4l80 box to my ls1 vx commodore, the 4l60 only only lasted 700k's after the motor was stroked will eventually end up with a harrop 2300 or 2650 so definitely either need the 4l80 or th400 and either way it will be manualisd. question is what else will I need other than: box, shifter, shifter plate, cross member, tail shaft, stall and flexplate? Just weighing up the options as I'd like to do a bit of highway driving as well. Thanks guys!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think it's a very common conversion over here, I don't think I've seem any threads about doing it on this forum (but I could be wrong). You would need to import or find a local supplier who imports to get one most likely as I don't think it's something you will find at a local wreckers.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Craigs Automatics built my 4l60e and it has been fine at holding 360kwatw/480hpatw, (built box is rated to 600 engine hp, so with a guestimated 20% calculated for drivetrain loss I'm close to the built boxes limit) it has been holding fine for the last year or so, about 15k km and 3 trips to the drags

Having the transmission tuned to suit the power is also critical for reliability

I do have a large trans cooler plumbed inline after the radiator to keep temps in check

Currently running a 2800rpm Converter Shop billet stall due to a cam

If it blows the best option is a built T400 with overdrive, pricey but reliable and very streetable with the overdrive

Last edited:

derovx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx calais 383
I don't think it's a very common conversion over here, I don't think I've seem any threads about doing it on this forum (but I could be wrong). You would need to import or find a local supplier who imports to get one most likely as I don't think it's something you will find at a local wreckers.
Hi mate, yeah I'm new on this forum and have no idea where to post or where to search for best results but I couldn't find much on it either haha.
My basic understanding of the box is that it's an electronic th400 with an overdrive which is ideal for what I want. I have found someone very local to me that imports them by the container load I'm just trying to figure out pricing at this point between the two boxes

derovx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx calais 383
Craigs Automatics built my 4l60e and it has been fine at holding 360kwatw/480hpatw, (built box is rated to 600 engine hp, so with a guestimated 20% calculated for drivetrain loss I'm close to the built boxes limit) it has been holding fine for the last year or so, about 15k km and 3 trips to the drags

Having the transmission tuned to suit the power is also critical for reliability

I do have a large trans cooler plumbed inline after the radiator to keep temps in check

Currently running a 2800rpm Converter Shop billet stall due to a cam

If it blows the best option is a built T400 with overdrive, pricey but reliable and very streetable with the overdrive
Hi mate, 4l60 has been fine for me until I started doing some work to the motor, its currently stroked and built for boost and will eventually end up with a harrop 2300 on top, I'm hoping for around 500-600kw and plan on abusing all of it, hence why I want to go with a stronger box to save any future dramas haha

Do you mind me asking how much Craig's charged you to build the box? Cheers mate

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you do go ahead with this conversion it would be much appreciated if you could document what you needed to do to make it work here on the forum to make it easier for the next person looking for the same info.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Hi mate, 4l60 has been fine for me until I started doing some work to the motor, its currently stroked and built for boost and will eventually end up with a harrop 2300 on top, I'm hoping for around 500-600kw and plan on abusing all of it, hence why I want to go with a stronger box to save any future dramas haha

Do you mind me asking how much Craig's charged you to build the box? Cheers mate

$4000

Last edited by a moderator:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Clips on yt how to do 4l80 conversion & adding extra speed sensor to run it with factory ecu.