Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0L S1 304 Alternator not charging after waterpump change

Holden4runner

Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Swapped 4 Runner
Hey Guys,

Just changed my waterpump on my 304 and now the alternator isnt charging the car enough to kick over. It builds compression in the first cylinder with the key on and then once I pull off it almost reverses the compression and spits it out the other way. (I hope this makes sense, if not, I have videos linked below).

At this point, I have managed to get the car started using a jump pack. The car ran fine, I left it running for about 10-15 mins and after switching it off, it still wouldn't start under its own power.

As far as I know, I just put everything back the way I pulled it off, but when it came to the bolt for tensioning the alternator, I forgot what side the spacer went on, but other than that, I'm really unsure as to why this is happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(In car Footage): https://youtube.com/shorts/gqW6I5pL9A8
(Engine bay Footage):

Let me know if you can't view them!

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It will never crank over fast enough if battery is not charged up & 15min idle won't be enough either.

Put battery on charger make sure it's fully charged with voltmeter & all terminals/connections are clean + tight.

If it's got efi 85amp vn-vs alternator the regulator will have 2 wires on it brown for charge light & white load sensing with fusible link at battery terminal..if no power to that wire no charge.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Charge the battery first and when it is running check the alternator is charging at 14.4 to 14.7 volts...(I think that's the range)

Holden4runner

Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Swapped 4 Runner
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. This post took a while to get approved. But yuppp silly me, battery was only at 10V, just didn't have enough to kick her over.