Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 speed ecotec manual box

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Is the T5 or Getrag better guys? By reading what you guys have written, mine must be getrag as it is a S3 VS

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
I believe that the getrag is technically a better box, but the stock shifter fitted to them was godawful - take a look around the site, you'll find some pics comparing it to the Billet shifter.

That said, I've never driven with a Billet shifter, so all I can say is that the T5 feels better stock.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
i'd be putting a short shifter on it anyway, which is easier to put on??

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
getrag is all round a harder box to work on than the t5, becuase of dual mass flywheel hydraulic clutch etc.

Blown355cca

Tyre Torturer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubcommodore.com
Members Ride
Frankenstein "VR 666"
Let me throw my 2 cents worth in, might be helpful might not......

I've been driving manual commies for awhile now, even converted a few for mates & I've been running the billet products short shifter for a couple of years as well.

Start with the easy one, what ever box you decide on put a shifter on it!!! It is by far one of the best things I've ever done & now have numerious mates using them based just on the performace see in my cars.

I belive the T5 is a better box, but that's because I've only used them in my cars. As for ease of use, the T5 & gertrag are about the same, but the T5 is a bit easier to remove by yourself as you can split the box from the bell housing while it's still in the car. You can use a solid fly wheel with either box.

If using a T5 I would deffently recommend using the V8 version over the V6 one as it is a bit stronger, the case is the same & will bolt up to either engine with the right bell housing. Again they are the same from VN-VS1 & I would highly recommend using a brand new fly wheel when doing the conversion, along with a brand new clutch set up (Might sound simple, but Ive seen people skip this step & pay for it later)

Guessing by the buy-in price I'm gonna assume that this is for a VS??? if this is the case, you will need the following items to carry out the conversion:
Gearbox & bell housing
Manual tail shaft
Gearbox mount
fly wheel
clutch kit
pedel box
cable/master & slave cylinder (depending on which way you go)
Manual computer (as the VS uses the computer to control full operation of the auto & will try and find the signal if not changed, there might be a patch for this but I'm not 100%)
The inhibitor switch will need to be by-passed
All other assc. mounting hardware.

I think I've remembered everything & I hope this will help you.

Keep us posted on your progress.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
thats VN-VR, ecotec is VS

but thanks

Regardless. The process for conversion will still be the same. You will still need the same parts listed on that page.

If using a T5 I would deffently recommend using the V8 version over the V6 one as it is a bit stronger, the case is the same & will bolt up to either engine with the right bell housing. . Again they are the same from VN-VS1 & I would highly recommend using a brand new fly wheel when doing the conversion, along with a brand new clutch set up (Might sound simple, but Ive seen people skip this step & pay for it later)

The V8 and V6 boxes are not interchangable, as the 6 has a longer input shaft than the 8 - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general-discussion/62400-t5-gear-box.html
Also, where do you get new T5 flywheels?

As mentioned, the T5 also has a machinable flywheel and a cable clutch setup, as opposed to the dual mass flywheel and hydraulic setup that the Getrag use. For these reasons, fixing things like clutches on the Getrags gets expensive.

Blown355cca

Tyre Torturer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubcommodore.com
Members Ride
Frankenstein "VR 666"
You can get a brand spanking new flywheels from the same companys I get them from for my race cars & I'm about to pick up a V6 manual VN for another car so I can race in 2 different classes, so I'll be chasing down a new clutch & flywheel set up fot that soon too. Exedy is one that comes to mind, I use textralia for my V8's & I also get my clutches off them too. You can also get solid replacement flywheels for the gertrag box in any model from VS - VY (not 100% on VZ - VE as I have not had to do a clutch on a 3.6ltr yet). A quick search of the REPCO parts lits shows a couple of different companys that manfacture flywheels for both boxes & I know there is others around on the net that do them as well. I say get a new fly wheel as I have see alot of them in both V6 & V8 crack around the crank bolt holes, if you want I can post up some photos of a car that was brought into my shop with a failed flywheel..........Makes a really big mess, in this case the vehicle was a total write off.....

Either box can be converted to hydraulic or cable from memory, again I've seen some companys on the net doing the conversion kit to go either way.