Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

513rwkw V6

MACE

Reaction score
What grade is that aluminium?
Think it'll hold up to fastener torque + vibration without losing tension?
Looks the part either way :)

Thats not aluminium is it? Only 7075-T6 would have half a chance but even then it would still be way too weak

Freshly machined hi tensile steel surely..........no?

Mace, over to you on this one lol

6061-T6 grade of aluminum. 7075-T6 would have been better but is not really needed.

Heaps of alloy girdles around with no problems, even ones from factory with good reason, primarily to dampen any instantaneous shock loads that take place. Lancing the peaks off these loads eliminates, or significantly reduces the likelihood of any cracks forming within the block assembly itself, in addition to reducing the caps from moving also.

Sure aluminium has a lower yield point then a high carbon or chromium steel, however it’s not going to be it’s mode of failure, defection under load will given the lower young’s modulus of elasticity.

However with the material, thickness coupled with the fact that the girdle is not only supported by the main studs, but also the full parameter of the sump mounting face, we’d have to pushing some impossible power figures or something catastrophic would have happened.

Only one way to find out I guess if the choice was the right one :)

Some additional, interesting reading on the topic for people interested in it

Hold.V8 6061 T6 Alloy Main Stud Girdle

Main stud girdle material specs? (source??) - PerformanceForums

I would have been happy with 300rwkw out of a V6. this guy went to town and is now the envy of every holden v6 lover. now when someone says ad 2 cylinders, we can say why would you slow it down:p.

Steve speaking of your great handy work. couldn'tnt get that plenum off to fit the inlet manifold gasket. so i took it to my mechanic and he was amazed at your work. he stood and looked at this gasket for 3 minutes very impressed.
Bit like that :p

Keep us posted with how you go with that spacer. If you need it machined down happy to help as mentioned in a PM

Cheers,
Steve

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Damn...no not damn,holy ####ing ****!!! That first video he did practically all sideways!!!
I am so impressed. Jesus mate I'm blown away haha. Can't wait to see if it holds out at 600rwkw :)

MACE

Reaction score
Damn...no not damn,holy ####ing ****!!! That first video he did practically all sideways!!!
I am so impressed. Jesus mate I'm blown away haha. Can't wait to see if it holds out at 600rwkw :)
Yeah skate city LOL

I'm fairly confident that it will hold out past 600rwkw, otherwise as Tim suggest, will be hat eating with some dead horse.

There's other work which is taking place to get reliably past that figure (with enough boost), however there is still one more thing that needs to be done that I'm pushing for to be completely happy

Time will tell I guess :)

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Watching this video has given me an all new respect for the 6 potters....

Im passing this video around like a joint at Woodstock.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
Went looking at new ones today i like my ute but found a bf f6 r spec for 47G black and everything. My mates f6 was built by nizzpro unbelievable quick i wish i was a rich miner to send it to them haha found a nice xr6 turbo for 17G with a fair bit done to it might have to settle for that!

No way in hell ide buy a ford!, even if it was faster. I guess im a true holden fanboy. Ide buy a holden and make it go faster.

MACE

Reaction score
Been a while for updates, but the new build is getting there :)

photo-3.jpgphoto145654.jpg6098760876907698769.jpg

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Man. I am impressed. This is insperation for 6er owners that want power.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This thing needs a full custom sump with external oil pick-up so that it can have a full length windage tray fitted :) Maybe ASR will want to sponsor this great build :D

I LIKE the mains stud girdle ;)

Cheers