Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5l40E shift issues

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sound like torque converter

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Thanks for the info lads, I'll check the scanners out. Yeah the debris was what looked like a mix of metal and clutch material. Magnet was completely covered in it and was a decent amount in the bottom of the pan, bit more came out after the flushes too. Was driving around this previous saturday when it was kinda warm and think the trans was slipping in 5th. Revs would jump up 200ish rpm for a second or two then drop back down to what they were. Honestly feels like the box is on its way out atm but I'll still see about getting a scanner and having a look
If you're seeing metal debris, it's a good chance that the transmission itself is wearing out... But definitely get a scan tool

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Drove till made noise + debris = overhaul time for sure. There will be damage and/or bits inside it, and you can spend heaps trying to fix it by dropping the pan and changing this and that and buying more fluid every time, when what it really needs is to be pulled apart and thoroughly cleaned out and the stuffed bits identified and replaced. Low fluid or blocked lines or filter is generally the end of them. It will probably have mechanical damage, I mean.

Last edited:

chrisjborg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX, VP, VT SS
Hey all, I've been having this issue with my 5L40E for a bit now and was kinda stumped on it but just found this post from 2013 and wasn't sure if i should necro the thread. I'm having the same issue with my trans atm where shifting in and out of 5th is hazy, sometimes shifts fine but a lot of the time dumps it both in and out of 5th. When shifting with paddles in active select it shifts smooth as but back to normal if you put it back in auto shift. Long story short trans got run with low oil for a while till it started making noise so i flushed it twice and put in a bottle of lucas trans additive which helped noticeably. 1-4 are normally smooth as now but there is an occasional hiccup in the revs at high rpm in 3rd or 4th (can't remember which, doesn't happen often). Have also heard that it could be solenoids or possibly valve body, I thought i might've buggered the clutch pack but it'd surely be playing up regardless of active select if that was the case. Any help would be legendary, thanks in advance
Hey @SuperJIVE did you ever get to the bottom of this? I just got a VZ Calais that is having the same issue. Changed fluid and filter, old fluid wasn't too bad colour wise and no metal or debris. Cheers Chris

SuperJIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6, VE SV6
Hey @SuperJIVE did you ever get to the bottom of this? I just got a VZ Calais that is having the same issue. Changed fluid and filter, old fluid wasn't too bad colour wise and no metal or debris. Cheers Chris
Nah man, she eventually started slipping in 4th and a tiny bit in third so knew the thing was rooted beyond saving. Never found out why the paddle shifts were smooth and responsive, doesn’t make sense to me. Found a box out of a VZ Calais with 140thou on it for a grand. Box swapped in and out in a week on the floor of my garage with a mate. She drives like a dream now