Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Litre rattler/piston slapper !

Hallzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
Another knocking 6ltr.......

I’ve got an April 2011 SSV redline Wagon Auto. It has a Feb 2011 L77 engine which has only done 8500kms. For the past few months it’s had a noise which was only happening when cold and between 2500 – 3000 rpm under light load. I can make it happen when locking it in 2nd gear and making it float between 2500 – 3000rpm. To me it sounds like piston slap.

I changed the oil at 4000 kms but the noise has gotten slowly worse. I went to the local Holden “experts” and took him for a drive. He acknowledged that there was a noise so I have booked it in next week to get them to have a look. I’m not real keen on them ripping it apart, stripping bolts and cross threading ****, when they don’t really have an idea of what they are looking for. I’m not having a go at Holden mechanics here, I’m just stating a fact about the local guys.

Last week I did another oil and filter change using Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30, at 8000kms and was a bit shocked with what I found. There was a fair amount of metal in the bottom of the drain container..... Not happy Jan. I haven’t pulled the filter apart yet to see how much **** is inside. I’m not looking forward to that.....

SilverVH

Banned
Reaction score
Hey mate,

I'll check it when I head back over to Holden at 3pm.
Picked up the car, tech told me that this is normal, part of the wearing in process lol. I got him to put it in writing.

I've been looking at a cam upgrade for Feb/March, might have to bring it forward a few weeks.

Just wasn't really expecting to spend that money until end of Feb at the earliest. AMF really isn't a finished product yet, more work required to get this sorted.

See what happens, if they cover it under warrantee, might need to get some advise of you later.
Build date is Mar 11

Cheers

Dave

Go back to the dealer. Tell the tech to start up a new SSV and see if it makes the same noise. If it does then fair enough. If it doesn't then they have something to answer for.

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
Go back to the dealer. Tell the tech to start up a new SSV and see if it makes the same noise. If it does then fair enough. If it doesn't then they have something to answer for.

Did that, went to two dealers, got them to start two brand new 2011 SS in the show room each. No noise at all. I even asked they sales person if these engine were noisy on cold start, they were more than happy to start them to prove they dont do it.

They still say its normal, well if it was they would all do it from day one. YES ?

Last edited:

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Yes that's because they don't do it off the showroom floor!! Mine was silent! I was so happy to start a Holden V8 that doesn't cold knock but I was wrong mine makes the same dreaded VT Series 2 cold knock NO LIFTER NOISE AT ALL!!!!!!! So I'm going to Holden on Monday to have a big winge I'm bloody over it normal? Pigs fu**ing ass!!!

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Took mine prob 5,000km to develop the noise. They replaced a idler pulley last time lmao what incompetent idiots!

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Well guys the knock knock VE SS knock Knock knock series 2 is going to Holden tomoz afternoon for a Wednesday cold start... Will be interesting I'll push hard for a 2011 built L77 what's odd is that agressive lifter noise old dog has isn't present in my engine just my piston bashing against my cylinder wall when cold :( they must the old 5.7 liters that were thrown in the scrap heap with a stroker kit to make them a "6 liter" and happy days... Not really im being a smart ass but that's what it seems like.

xxnitroxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss series 2 my 11
Hay Charger 1 and welcome to mine and others nightmare.

My car, a Nov 2010 SSV VE11 is a total peice of crap. At 7,500 the lifters were replaced (as per recall) I have that in writing from the dealer, at 13,100 piston slap was diagnosed by Holden's rep and the engine removed and pistons coated after a long battle. Now at 15,000 the car has gone into limp mode when started, was "repaired", then an hour after getting it back, did the same again while driving. It is now back at the dealer, pulled apart, while they try and find out what the problem is. The Holden reps I am sure don't care, and when I ask for a new engine, they give me a sob story about how much it cost them to rectifiy the piston slap issue and its not economically viable for them to replace the engine. Huh? It's not economically viable for me to spend $50K on a car and be without it for 55 days in 12 months. Now I'm driving a crappy VZ instead of my SSV.

Oh, I need to add my dealer has been great through this process, in no way do I blame the dealer for the break down or other problems. The engine in my eyes is just a bucket of badly screwed together bolts.

Hi mate, i brought a OCT 2010 My11 SS VE11 March last year, and ive got more issues than i know what to do with, regarding the lifter issues you mentioned, if there was a recall regarding this shouldnt have the dealer advised me of this? Or are they just reefing my beef with all the other crap there trying to feed me?

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Mate mine piston slaps and lifter clacks when it's cold. Doesn't use oil though... Holden are dicking me around they spastic service manager rekons he can't hear the knock when the engine is cold, well I'm sorry he's a full blown spastic brain dead idiot! No offenses intended to disabled people my brother is disabled. anyway I've had a harmonic balancer replaced an idler pulley replaced for zero gain!! Booked in next time the DSM is in town but I can't see myself winning. My engine sounds like a tractor on cold mornings I love the car to bits but the engine goes hard however they are they most under engineered piece of **** I've come across! People who don't have piston slap in there 6 liters aren't listening hard enough lol. They all do it a little bit from my experience not much has changed since VT 5.7,s the lifter issue isn't a recall in Australia only in the united states at this stage as far as I know. I refuse to have my engine pulled down I either get a new engine or I learn to deal with it. Pulling it down wastes time and introduces more problems.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

atomic maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve maloo
Did you have to replace the harmonic balancer because it had a wobble?