Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Litre rattler/piston slapper !

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Not good news Dave. What's the engine build date?

Phil

Hey mate,

I'll check it when I head back over to Holden at 3pm.
Picked up the car, tech told me that this is normal, part of the wearing in process lol. I got him to put it in writing.

I've been looking at a cam upgrade for Feb/March, might have to bring it forward a few weeks.

Just wasn't really expecting to spend that money until end of Feb at the earliest. AMF really isn't a finished product yet, more work required to get this sorted.

See what happens, if they cover it under warrantee, might need to get some advise of you later.
Build date is Mar 11

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Ouch!! March 2011...

Any chance you could video the cold start for us to compare? If it's clunking like our did then it puts of theory down.

When you get the cam done, get the lifters and pushrods done also. A set of Tie-bar lifters (no pro version - these are less noisy) and pushrods to match...

Cheers
Phil

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ouch!! March 2011...

Any chance you could video the cold start for us to compare? If it's clunking like our did then it puts of theory down.

When you get the cam done, get the lifters and pushrods done also. A set of Tie-bar lifters (no pro version - these are less noisy) and pushrods to match...

Cheers
Phil

Yeah mate I'll post it up and send you the link.

Cam upgrade would be include, lifters, rods, valley plates, lifter bucket, gaskets, bolts, cam, dyno tune, under-drive pulley. All up around 4.5k

Going to monitor the situation don't really want to be driving it with this condition, that's why I got the tech to write in the report. "Normal noises" bit of a joke really.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Dave,

Just had a listen to your video. It doesn't sound like the clunk/knock noise we had in our other engines. Having said that, my new L77 makes the exact same noise, more evident when hot. Was told the same thing, normal.

As for new lifters with the cam. If you get the Morel Tie-bar lifters you get rid of those silly lifter buckets... I've been told they can be a source of problems..

Cheers
Phil

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Phil,

I hope it doesn't get any worse, ill get this forum posted.

Definitely look at Tie-Bar lifters when doing the cam. I wanted a 1900 supercharger but this ticking has pushed me back to the cam

Dave

BumbleBeeSSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VEII SSV Redline Ute
I'm about to head off to work after a cold night in the driveway. Going to film the noise mine is making and would really appreciate someone giving it a listen.

Another set of ears never hurt anyone yeah?

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I'm about to head off to work after a cold night in the driveway. Going to film the noise mine is making and would really appreciate someone giving it a listen.

Another set of ears never hurt anyone yeah?

Post away!!..