Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6L V8 Economy

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Well I've got the 6.0 litre and 6 speed manual Around town, I am getting 14.3lt/100 km. And I give it a bit too (the second set of rear tyres will be needed shortly).

I use Shell V Power only. I will without fail get an extra 40km per tank around town with that. Caltex vortex 98 doesnt get the same economy (for my car, it might as well be standard unloeaded).

So with about a 60 litre fill up, I get 440 kms out of the tank on v power. If I spend a tank driving sensibily, then It does go down to about 13lt per 100km. But I didnt buy th car with sensibility in mind...

And freeway driving is awesome. I can easily get from canberra to sydney and back on one tank, which includes ****-farting around in both canberra and sydney. 6th gear on the freeway and the engine is barely ticking over, yet it never lacks the punch if needed.

vessm

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss manual
I have ve ss ute m6
catback otr and tune its doing 12.3l city thats with mail order tune which still
needs some fixing up so it may get little better.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I'm getting around 14.5 doing half city, half freeway. Doesn't vary much if I do more or less of either.

I only ever use 98 Ron, and I drive the car hard.

FYI I have 6 speed manual with CAI running a K&N pod filter

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
WTF do you guys do to your cars (boy1236)?
Reaper

drive faster than you ? lol :p

don't tell anyone about that... but driving 250km\h in a VE SS... Feels just great :yeah:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I'm getting around 14.5 doing half city, half freeway. Doesn't vary much if I do more or less of either.

I only ever use 98 Ron, and I drive the car hard.

FYI I have 6 speed manual with CAI running a K&N pod filter

Have you had it tuned since the CAI? Sounds like it's running a bit rich...

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Have you had it tuned since the CAI? Sounds like it's running a bit rich...

I'm still unconvinced on this one Cous' - went to a reputable tuner in SA that everyone seems to rave about and after about an hour of talking he said for $900 for a tune with Dyno, that he MAY get better economy and a bit of performance BUT "I can't guarantee any more power or economy out of this because the L98 is already tuned so well. Best increases come out of recal on the autos - which makes no difference to you"

I would like to get it done ... but think I'll wait til I can get to the riverland and let Cappa have a play. They seem to get excellent results and have a great reputation.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
who'd you go to? i heard that the 6 litre can be tuned a lot better than the 5.7 and responds alot better

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
who'd you go to? i heard that the 6 litre can be tuned a lot better than the 5.7 and responds alot better

I'd rather not say .. I'm sure they are really good at what they do, but maybe not as confident with the L98 yet.

Anyone in SA give any suggestions?

I know KPM and D&T are both good at what they do, however they both seem to be expensive.

In fact... what do you guys think it should cost? And now that I have a CAI, am I better off getting a mafless tune?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
6l v8 economy....LOL, perhaps 6l v8 fuel consumption would be a better title.

Anyway, to the serious stuff, why do you have to get expensive tunes and the likes for these cars. Dont they come supplied with computer mapped engines where the fuel mixture is controlled by computer in combination with all the sensors? surely the manufacturer would have had to get this right to pass emissions and the like?

CAI and reduced fuel consumption? Ive never seen any evidence to support this. Certainly it can produce more power because it can more mix in there, but is there anything tangible to show or explain how it could even be possible. Perhaps if many actually make the intake less restrictive when they set this up.
Which leads to me, what is the current definition of a cai? Dont all modern cars have these, where the intake air is snorkelled from in front of the radiator etc, rather than directly from the air around the hot manifold.

Last edited: