Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6l80 gearbox rebuild or service

NED1855

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss wagon
Hi all I have a 2009 ve ss auto and have just done a dod delete, bigger cam, otr, and headers back exhaust system with a tune. Got 412hp at the wheels, my question is should I just rebuild the 6l80 gearbox to handle extra power or would a simple service be enough for now? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Hi all I have a 2009 ve ss auto and have just done a dod delete, bigger cam, otr, and headers back exhaust system with a tune. Got 412hp at the wheels, my question is should I just rebuild the 6l80 gearbox to handle extra power or would a simple service be enough for now? Any advice is greatly appreciated
Mate pretty sure that the 6 speed was rated 5-600hp, you didn't mention how many kilometers it had traveled. At the very least, it would be good to change the fluid and filter. If its a higher kilometer car, l would be getting the auto overhauled as well.
Good move with the AFM delete, you didn't mention anything about the lifters? New non AFM lifters are about 30% of the cost.
Well done and good luck.

NED1855

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss wagon
Mate pretty sure that the 6 speed was rated 5-600hp, you didn't mention how many kilometers it had traveled. At the very least, it would be good to change the fluid and filter. If its a higher kilometer car, l would be getting the auto overhauled as well.
Good move with the AFM delete, you didn't mention anything about the lifters? New non AFM lifters are about 30% of the cost.
Well done and good luck.
Cheers for the reply the car has 240 on the clock so I guess I'll just do the overhaul and yeah when I did the delete I got all new upgraded lifters springs and rods, new balancer, timing chain and gears so pretty much all new internals

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yes service it regularly, the tuner should have made adjustments to the auto to suit the mods, they can handle a bit so if u have any issues it needs to be tuned right