Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'88 VN Calais - H/Beam Fuse melted

Dibs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Hey guys I just bought a VN Calais, its only had a couple of things wrong with it which I've fixed up to get the car ready for Victorias tight assed roadworthies. But the High Beams don't work so I checked the fuse underneath the bonnet and its melted around the metal bits of the fuse. Do you guys know what causes this and the best way to fix it? I'm lost when it comes to electronics.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
A melted fuse is usually created by a bad earth, the high resistance in the circuit limits current flow makes the wires get really hot the same as having too much current flow/ amps being drawn through the wire, fuses are to protect high current flow (current flow is measured in amps) not high resistance.

Dibs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Ah ok, when I bought the car the little earth wire that connects to the battery was disconnected, its been connected since I found it. Would that be what caused it?

redsnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive 3.8
had this prob on mine, turned out to be a loose connection on the relay, wire going to fuse. clean and recrimp might save the day ..cheers.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Mine was the same.. The guy I bought it off was running 120 globes in it.. After you fix the prob get some emry paper to clean it up to make a good contact..

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
A melted fuse is usually created by a bad earth, the high resistance in the circuit limits current flow makes the wires get really hot the same as having too much current flow/ amps being drawn through the wire, fuses are to protect high current flow (current flow is measured in amps) not high resistance.

Would you be kind enough to explain this statement a bit more in detail for me, as it has just blown my 30 years of electrical fitter experience out of the water. LOL